We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

copying from laptop to pc

pollpott
Resolved

Likes # 0

I want to copy a large number of jpeg from a win8 laptop (32bit) to a win8 pc (64bit) I have read about using a simple transfer cable, is this the best way or will it only transfer and not copy? Are there compatibility issues?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If both computers connect to the same router for their internet access, then they are already "networked". Set the folder in the Laptop as "shared" and it should then be accessible from the PC. You can copy or move the files between computers.

You could also set both up to be in the same Homegroup for file sharing.

Like this post
pollpott

Likes # 0

I have tried to set up a homegroup and did so successfully on the pc which generated a password. Unfortunately the laptop could not seem to join, I got as far as entering the password but then it couldn't join.I ran the diagnostics but that didn't help. I removed the homegroup from the pc and tried to set one up from scratch on the laptop. I got as far as selecting which files to share then at the next step got the message "windows can't set up a homegroup on this computer" Accompanied by a "bong" sound with a big cross in a red circle, just for emphasis. Any ideas?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Ignore the link from thtu3 that is spam and the FE has been informed. If you look at this link it seems as if the antivirus A/V was involved, you might try that first. Googling suggests several other reasons for not being able to set up a HomeGroup.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you can't get the network to connect properly and this is a one time transfer you can always drag the files onto a USB stick inserted into the laptop and then drag them off again onto the PC.

Like this post  
pollpott

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions, I have decided that the simplest way is to transfer them to an external HD and take them from that. I will look at the link as I would like to know why I can't set up a network anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...