We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem opening attached email Excel Files under a different user account

TonyN2013

Likes # 0

I just got a new Windows 8 machine and am having a strange problem. I have Office 2010 installed on the machine, and I can open attached email Excel files fine by double clicking on them which launches MS Excel, but when my wife tries to open them in her email, under her log in on the machine, the computer doesn't seem to know what type of file it is, and launches Adobe Reader instead of MS Excel, which can't open it. When I try to save it onto the desktop or some other location on the PC, it tries to save it as an image file. If I have her forward the same email with the attachment to me, it opens just fine. Is there some type of setting that needs to be changed under her account log in? She can access all the MS office programs on the PC and launch them with no problems, just not from an email attachment.

Any help with this would really be appreciated!!!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The usual procedure would be to "right-click" the file, select "Open with", choose Excel as the program to use and then set it as the default. Have you tried this?

Like this post
TonyN2013

Likes # 0

Yes, I have. I get the dropedown that says:

Open Link in New Tab Open Link in New Window View Image Copy Image Copy Image Location Save Image As Set as Desktop Background

etc...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It would seem that in your wife's account that the default file association has been linked to images, etc instead of Excel. Have a read of this

Like this post
TonyN2013

Likes # 0

Thank you for your response Woolwell. You are correct in that this is the way to change the association. I came across this the other day after doing more research, and tried it with no luck.

When I went into the Control Panel under my wife's log-in and brought up the program for file associations, I saw that indeed, the .XLS extension was set to "Adobe Reader," so I figured my problem would be solved with a quick fix! However, when I clicked on the "Change program..." button to change the associated program from Adobe Reader to Excel for the .XLS extension, Microsoft Excel was not included in the list of programs to change it too.

So now I need to figure out why, or how to include Excel on the list of programs that I can change the .XLS extension to. If anyone has any knowledge of how to do this, I would appreciate their response!

Thanks!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try opening Excel and then browse for the file and try to open it that way and it should ask if youbwantvtondo this every time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good