We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reformatted windows vista.. now my pc just switches off.

matty-86

Likes # 0

Hi i reformatted my computer windows vista home premium now when i switch the computer on it ran fine at first and i installed the drivers that came with the original computer when buying it for the motherboard (foxconn)

Now it seems to just switch off not shut down it just goes off like a power cut. when i switch it on it will sometimes do it again after the initial black screen comes up sometimes it might boot up ok for a few mins.

It was ok earlier today before the reformat i am trying to now install windows updates but it keeps going off.

any ideas what it could be? and how to fix it.

thanks matt

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Did you do a complete reinstall that usually is the best way forward, save all your data first, this clears out the crud on the machine and lets you go from factory fresh.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

What prompted you to reformat - problems with the original install? Sounds like a power supply issue or power settings could be set to very conservative numbers - check them, guide here;

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00825528

Unplug any unnecessary devices in case your power supply is struggling.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?