We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

FOLDER ACCESS ERROR - CAN'T ACCESS FOLDER OR FILES

RnAmkk

Likes # 0

I have a folder (which I created) with some files I need and, suddenly, cannot access. I get the following error: "Location is not available. C:\location\Folder name is not accessible. Access is denied." Can't open, move, delete, or take ownership. When I click to open, it asks for my admin password, which I provide, then STILL denies access. If I right click, there are Microsoft "shields" adjacent to several of the options. I'm clueless...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Try this. Microsoft.

Like this post
RnAmkk

Likes # 0

Thank you. Neither helped. Error stating I do not have permission to view Security settings (even as administrator), and, it's not encrypted (not checked) - however that option (to encrypt) us greyed out. It's like there is another administrator controlling the folder...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Try this:

1. Open the start menu, search for command prompt (CMD), right click and run as administrator
    1. Type the following: net user administrator /active:yes
    2. Log out of your account and enter the hidden Administrator.

See if you can access the folder from here.

To hide the administrator account again:

1. Open the start menu, search for command prompt (CMD), right click and run as administrator
    1. Type the following: net user administrator /active:no
    2. Log out of the PC and you will be back to your account.
Like this post
RnAmkk

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd;

Thank you! I was able to regain control of the folder and contents this way. Your help really appreciated!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Glad to here it. The above is a useful tip for all sorts of problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...