We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trouble deleting 138 GB .avi file

doppler369

Likes # 0

Hey there. I hope someone might be able to help me out with this one. A few days ago, while I was testing a video capture software, I ended up creating a 138 GB .avi file which nearly filled up my hard drive. I tried to delete it multiple times, but though the file does go away according to explorer, the space isn't freed from the HDD and next time I boot the file is back, and absolutely no changes I make on anything are there after rebooting.

Is there a way to delete the file without resorting to recovering from an earlier system image or disk formatting?

Thank you very much in advance.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Have you tried Revo to uninstall?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Any result?

Like this post
doppler369

Likes # 0

Sadly no, there's not enough space in the HDD to install Revo; I tried to install it on an external drive, but it didn't work either. Thanks though, any other ideas?

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Revo is for removing applications, not individual files (though it may tidy data files up as part of the extended removal process). Try Unlocker; http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you are high lighting and clicking on Delete then you are just trying to put it into the Recycle Bin and you won't free up any space. Hold the Shift Key down, then highlight the file and then click on Delete, this will stop it from going into the Recycle Bin.

Like this post
doppler369

Likes # 0

Unlocker didn't work either; it said that the file had no locking handle attached to it and gave me the option to delete it anyway, which didn't work. Thanks for the tip in any case, Jaywoo.

I've been doing so from the get go, chub_tor. I've also tried deleting it from the command console on Windows, on Safe Mode, and from a Windows Vista boot DVD, to no avail. Thanks for the tip, though.

Speaking of which. I've just noticed that, when on the Windows install menu of said boot DVD, the installation program lists the hard drive as having at the very least 150 GB worth of free space. If I boot from the hard drive, that space appears as taken. Would it be better to just back up everything and format given the situation? Or is there still a way to fix this without resorting to that?

Thanks in advance!

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Can you remove the drive and connect it to another pc and try delete the file that way?

Or you could try this utility program

http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia