We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with Youtube, iPlayer and other things

Martlet1960

Likes # 0

We are having problems with various Internet features on our laptop (HP Pavilion g series). We have Windows 7 (64 bit), and are using IE9. The problems started yesterday (just after installing a set of Windows security updates).

We can't use Youtube or iPlayer. With Youtube we get black screens instead of the videos, but no error message. With iPlayer, we get a message that Javascript has to be enabled, but active scripting is enabled.

I also can't open the security software (McAfee/BT Netprotect). When I click on the icon a blank white box appears, although according to Task Manager McAfee is running.

Other sites don't work, properly or at all, especially anything involving videos or pictures, also some sites where there are buttons to click on (no button appears, or appears but doesn't work). Google Maps doesn't work at all.

I don't know much about computers but I assume that this is most likely to be a problem with Javascript function. I wondered if it would help to instal the latest Adobe Flash player, but couldn't (the download button won't appear on the Adobe download page).

I assume it isn't a problem with video drivers because (i) the problem is more widespread than video and (ii) videos stored on the hard disk play perfectly.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Best wishes David

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you think it's Win update that has caused this problem then set it to Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them , click here.

Try a system restore to before the updates and check again the update setting. See if the machine now works OK. If it's ok then you'll need to install the newest updates one at a time to see which one is incompatible with your set-up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...