We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win8 system reserved partitation

csb-jass

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have discovered that my reserved partition 350mb is fragmented by 17% and I wish to extend it to 500mb to remove fragmentation - I am concerned about upsetting the boot files on C: as I will need to shrink the front section for the required space. Is there an option in win8 to do this or is a third party app required? Information from anyone who has completed without issue is appreciated. Thanks...

Windows 8 Pro x64

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's a system reserved partition and I would leave well alone. Mine is 100 MB suggesting it's a cloned drive you're using?

If you want to have a go then try shrinking it to 100 MB (minimum size). Don't have a go at me if it upsets things.

Like this post
csb-jass

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13, if you have a 100mb system boot partition it is win7 you have and not win8. As default win8 sets up with 350mb system boot and has MFT file right in middle of it and providing insufficient space ether side for the large files included in partition causing bad fragmentation. I have corrected this issue in win7 but have been informed that win8 loses its boot ability if same method is used, this is why I have asked advice from someone who has successfully completed this task. I know from experience this can make a notable difference at boot time.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

All I can tell you is I have a 100MB NTFS system reserved partition, Partition size: 100 MB, Used space: 38.5 MB Free space: 61.4 MB Active: Yes Hidden: No

Running Windows 8.

Like this post
csb-jass

Likes # 0

Hmmm! Did you do an upgrade from win7? or if fresh install which flavour of win8? Mine is fresh install of win8 Pro x64 and it auto defaulted to 350mb

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Upgraded from 7 and also Win Pro 64-bit.

Like this post
csb-jass

Likes # 0

Has any an answer or a direction to another thread with answer? Thanks...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...