We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

error code 8000ffff and code 9C57 problem

Boy Zone

Likes # 0

Hi, Trying to install updates to my pc, running win 7 64bit. Everytime it fails and I get the error codes as above.I've searched the web but cant find a fix to install the 32 updates.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you run the Microsoft Fixit Tool it seems to have worked for some people.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Should have added that there are some more possible solutions here

Like this post
Boy Zone

Likes # 0

Tried the majority of these none work, some even suggest the following I would suggest you to delete PendingXmlIdentifier.

a. Open the Registry Editor by clicking the Start button , typing regedit into the Search box, and then pressing ENTER.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b. In the left pane, find and double-click HKEYLOCALMACHINE, and then click COMPONENTS.

c. Right-click COMPONENTS, and then click Export. By default, this file is saved to your desktop, but you can choose any folder.

d. In the File Name text box, type COMPONENTS. You have now created a back up copy of the registry values you're going to be removing.

e. In the right pane, search for PendingXmlIdentifier, right-click it, and then click Delete. PendingXmlIdentifier might not be listed.

f. In the right pane, search for NextQueueEntryIndex, right-click it, and then click Delete. NextQueueEntryIndex might not be listed.

g. In the right pane, search for AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving, right-click it, and then click Delete. AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving might not be listed. h. Restart your computer and then run Windows Update again.

BUT I CANT FIND COMPONENTS IN THIS REG KEY.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

From the little research that I have done these errors all seem to come down to the IE10 upgrade. Have you tried installing it manually?

Like this post
Boy Zone

Likes # 0

I've tried every avenue to resolve this issue, but so far non seem to work. It seems this is a very common problem. I've not tried to install IE 10.All I get is this error message 8000ffff informing me can't install.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Then take a look at this link and scroll down to nskillen he offers a regedit solution that has worked for this error code. Do back up your registry first though.

Like this post
Boy Zone

Likes # 0

seen this before but it's not for win 7 64 bit, which I have.

surely there must be a solution to this problem without having to reload windows disk?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You could always do a System Restore to a date before you made the updates then download and run them one by one until (and if) you get the error again. I am assuming that you have system restore turned on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?