We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Apple Mac Pro running Lion and Windows?

navagator

Likes # 0

I have a brand new Apple Macbook Pro which I would also like to run windows on a seperate partition. I'm aware of Boot Camp as the means by which this can be achieved. Any advice re windows 7 or 8, anti virus or general advice greatly appreciated.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have a read of this Apple page about the use of Boot Camp. As your MacBook is brand new, is it not running "Mountain Lion", which is currently at OSX 10.8.2?

Boot camp lets you boot into either Mac or Windows and, according to the above page, Lion and Mountain Lion only support Windows 7; Windows 8 and earlier versions are not supported.

The alternative is Parallels 8 for Desktop which lets you run both Windows and Mac programs without rebooting. I did briefly try the "trial version" in conjunction with Windows XP and it seem to do what it claims, although I decided to stay with separate computers for Windows and Mac.

As I understand it, you would still need to protect Windows with AntiVirus, and malware/spyware applications.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I should have emphasised that, although Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 with your version of OSX, Parallels doesn't have the same restriction. I believe it can use any operating system, including a second version of Mac OSX, Windows, Linux etc.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

mgmcc

Apple have released ML 10.8.3 that supports Windows 8 in Bootcamp

Like this post
navagator

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your input. Yes it is running Mountain Lion. I think Boot Camp will do the trick. I only require windows to run two very important business programs (Paymaster and an accounts package), which don't have Mac versions at the moment. Windows 7 will do just fine. Once again thanks for the help.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

bremner,

"Apple have released ML 10.8.3 that supports Windows 8 in Bootcamp"

Very timely! I had to check for updates though for mine to say 10.8.3 was available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...