We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thinking of upgrading to Windows 7

Esc4p3

Likes # 0

Hi there

I currently have Windows Vista 32 bit and am thinking of moving to Windows 7 32 bit. I have run Windows 7 upgrade advisor, which didn't highlight anything too bad (just a few out of date programs). The PC is a nearly 6 year old Evesham PC with 2gb ram, 2.4ghz Core 2 duo E6600 processor, 400gb hdd, 640mb 8800gts graphics card.

At the moment, I am using the PC for music production, gaming (just finished Assassins Creed 3) and general office duties. However, I am thinking of moving over to the dark side of gaming (consoles) and just leaving the PC with the easier stuff....otherwise I would be looking at a more substantial PC upgrade.

I may consider doubling the ram (with 32bit limitations obviously) and also upgrading the hard drive to 1tb or so.

My question, is it worth my investment? I don't see why the pc won't run Windows 7? My other question, is how to do it. Do I buy a new HDD, and install Windows 7 on that, then set the current HDD as a slave and gradually copy files across, or format and reinstall the current HDD from scratch. I have good backups of all my files on 2 separate USB hDDs.

All advice greatly received! Cheers, Carl.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've got a 7 year old dell 9150 with XPmce. The way I did it is:

Got Retail W7, as you get 32bit and 64bit dvds with that and no problem if/when I buy new pc.

bought new 1TB hdd (got 3 as wanted others for backup and extra storage)

disconnected XP hdd and connected and installed W7 32bit on a 200GB partition on 1TB drive on Sata 0 on motherboard. My motherboard will only take 4GB ram max and also couldn't get drivermod for W7 for onboard sound (ancient Sigmatel IDT onboard sound) to enable line in/stereo mix to record with Audacity.

I used free EaseUs Partition manager to make the partitions on new hdds prior to installing W7

I now run both as separate OS's, swapping the sata cables over on back of hdds to make connecting the one I want to boot from to motherboard Sata 0.

I am hampered from easier choice of ways to do it as I didn't want a dual boot manager and dell bios doesn't give me F8 choice of drives to boot OSs.

I have so many programs on XP that because of the licences, Giveaway of the Day freebies that I can't put on W7, I wanted to keep XP for those. But I am gradually gathering more W7 ones now.

I keep all my data on separate internal 1TB drive on sata 2 (and backups go to the 3rd one via usb) so it is all accessible from whichever (W7 or XP) OS I boot into. The other OS then becomes a slave on Sata 1 slot on motherboard.

Not a sophisticated setup but I am happy with it at present as all hdds are visible in Windows Explorer. Won't be long now before I get new Tower and make the leap to all W7 on new one. That means I can still keep old Dell XP working as normal as an extra pc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I should add that I keep OS and programs partition smaller to make it easier and quicker for Acronis Images for backing up/restoring XP and W7.

It also makes it more secure having my data on a separate hdd, I can easily disconnect that drive and with the aid of a cable turn it into a usb drive and access my data on my ancient ThinkPad should it be necessary.

Like this post
Esc4p3

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic, that's a really comprehensive answer and in line with what I was thinking. Funnily enough it is Acronis that is one of the programs upgrade advisor fails, but it is about time I updated it anyway.

another thing that would be useful is an order of works when reinstalling everything. What drivers I may need to have ready, such as mobo and other core ones. It has been a very long time since I tinkered, so am a bit nervous....or does windows handle all that?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

From personal use and experience of Acronis, it makes no difference if you use the boot cd/dvd for making images, as that works without Windows being started up.

I found that W7 already had all the drivers needed and didn't get any warning triangles in Device Manager Hardware.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback