We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista startup repair user & password

ttimmy58

Likes # 0

BSOD loop. When I run startup repair I get to a screen that says user and I click on it and then a screen pops up asking for a username and password. I have tried every password and username I have ever used and none work. How can I get around this to run startup repair?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

How are you getting to start up repair?

This article gives you two options

Boot from the vista installation disk

or, if there is a pre-installed recovery option, press F8 while your PC is booting. - is this what you have already tried?

Like this post
ttimmy58

Likes # 0

Yes, I believe both ways it asks me for that username and password.

Like this post
ttimmy58

Likes # 0

I gave up and reinstalled Vista but now I need a sm bus controller driver. Anyone have any idea where I can find the right one? Dell Inspiron 519.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'