We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 VS Windows 7

janiman

Likes # 0

Which one is the best. I used both windows. No doubt about it that windows 8 has many amazing features than windows 7 but my experience and other windows user says that windows 8 work slow and windows 7 works very fast. Whats your opinion?

Like this post
cooloox

Likes # 0

@Batch actually, you have "selectively" chosen a few web pages to link us to. The first one seems to be written by people who don't even know how to use Windows 8. Power Users is a term thrown around a lot, but many Windows 7 Power Users are clueless about Windows 8.

Your second link reflects roughly what I have experienced, except I've seen a much bigger margin in start-up times.

Your 3rd link is ONE in dozens (or more) of online tests. This one http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp just as an example does not agree with your link's findings.

Your last link does not compare IE10 between Windows 7 and Windows 8, it just talks about IE10 on Windows 7. Did someone in here mention IE10 is supposed to be quicker on Windows 8 than on Windows 7? If so, I missed that one.

I made a video and posted the link earlier, I'm not sure if you saw it. It speaks for itself. Windows is very fast to navigate once you know it.

I don't need benchmarking to feel the difference from what I used to experience and what I experience now. I don't play any games on my PCs, so I cannot comment on gaming.

Like this post
cooloox

Likes # 0

@rdave13 Thanks very much. I think Microsoft really should have made a series of their own videos showing how to use Windows 8. It would have made a huge difference to its acceptance.

Because it works in a way most people wouldn't naturally expect it to, people have fumbled around with it, become p'd off and stayed with Windows 7. Had they known from the start how to use it properly, I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to Windows 7. Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a ton of improvements and the ability to open convenient mobile apps.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

cooloox, yes I agree.

Sometimes it's difficult to portray in words how good/bad an OS is. Your video certainly opened my eyes and I thought I knew a bit about the OS.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

coolbox - my posting was not aimed at you in particular (although it rather seems like you may have taken it that way). If anything, it was meant more for the OP.

The problem with performance comparisons is trying to find meaningful objective tests (as opposed to more subjective views that are often expressed). The two performance tests I posted links serve to to illustrate that one may get different conclusions from different sources even when the tests are seemingly objective. It is for the reader (esp. the OP in this case) to draw their own conclusions (you will note that I did not express an opinion one way or the other).

With regard to start-up / shut-down times, as I understand it, Win8, by default hibernates and restarts from that point rather than a full re-boot. If comparisons are being made with Win7 on that basis, surely it should be against Win7 set-up to use the same approach?

You are right that the IE related article does not, in itself, make a comparison between IE10 on Win7 & Win8. But it does not take a genius to realise that "current" comparisons between Win7 (with IE9) and Win8 (with IE10) will become outdated and, given what the articles expresses, browsing (with IE) on Win7 is about to get quite a bit better. And that should be borne in mind when considering Win7 vs Win8 (which is what this thread is, surely, all about).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you shut-down then Windows 8 doesn't hibernate. Same as all the other Windows OSs and that includes laptops. In my very humble opinion Win 8 is better than 7 by a long way. The OP is certainly getting useful info in this discussion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015