We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 VS Windows 7

janiman

Likes # 0

Which one is the best. I used both windows. No doubt about it that windows 8 has many amazing features than windows 7 but my experience and other windows user says that windows 8 work slow and windows 7 works very fast. Whats your opinion?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Any PC will slow down as junk builds up. I have just reverted back to Win 7 From Win 8 Pro. I cannot say that I found it faster or Slower than Win 8. what I can say what I use my computer for Win 7 I find easier to Use. and cannot see any difference in bootup but 7 is faster in turning off

Knowing the rumors relating to Windows Blue( said to be this Summer ) and Windows 9 We will all have to see

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I find that Windows 8 starts up much faster than W7. However I do find that some of the apps can be slow to load. W8 is a bit an acquired taste.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I like Win 8 over 7. Boots faster and shuts down faster. Overall it seems faster. Some tiles seem to load slower than others, especially the Store one. I imagine it's updating as it's loading.

Like this post
cooloox

Likes # 0

I can tell you straight up that Windows 8 starts in around half the time Windows 7 does. I have 3 computers and had the same result on all 3. I've also set up many other people's computers with the same results.

Windows 8 feels snappier overall and it has been proven in benchmarking that it is. It uses less resources and is better optimised for some hardware (I read the hardware bit, so not sure how accurate that is).

Windows 8 is actually as fast to get around as Windows 7 "if you learn how to use it properly" and is faster in some areas. Most people can't be bothered putting in the effort to learn new ways. For anyone who wants to say it is harder to navigate than Windows 7 - just watch this brief video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbl_3PDmG4

Windows 8 is awesome, makes your computer feel faster and once you get used to it you cannot go back to Windows 7 :-)

Like this post
cooloox

Likes # 0

@sharpamat - you must have had a bad installation then. Windows 8 is almost twice as fast at booting up than Windows 7 was. This is the experience of almost everyone who tries it. It is so much faster at starting that you can't possibly not notice it.

Out of curiosity, what do you use your computer for that you feel is easier to access in Windows 7? There is nothing I know of that is slower to get to in Windows 8 than it was in Windows 7.

Like this post
janiman

Likes # 0

i thinks people don,t have a pc with good specification. That,s why they blame it on windows 8.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

No I did not have a bad installation I Use my systom not only for Word processing But Dog pedigrees etc Using Lotus and Coral Programs ( Both of which will not run correctly on Win 8 ) And I am sorry that I disagree with the Speeds they asked the question and I replied.

Its quite simple if you do not like the reply don't ask the question

As for presuming That people don't have good spec,s Mine is an intel i5 processor 2320 with 6 meg memory Far above that required for Win 8

And for me Win win 8 was not as fast as win 7

Like this post
cooloox

Likes # 0

If you saw my video (you mentioned word processing) you may have noticed I use CorelDraw X6, Photoshop CS5, Xara Designer Pro, Xara Web Designer and Visual Studio 2012 Pro. I am heavily into photo retouching & graphics, generally. I also do basic video editing. In Corel Photo-Paint there is a feature called Smart Carver. On the same image with the same masking - what took 4.5 seconds in Windows 7 takes 1 second in Windows 8. Only that one feature though LOL. Everything else is similar or a just little faster in Windows 8.

I still stand by what I said, you must have had an issue with your installation as I have read so many forums about Windows 8 it is crazy and you are the only person I ever read saying Windows 7 performs better and that both programs start up at the same speed. I have installed Windows 8 on 3 of my PCs, one of my neighbour's, a few of my friends' and 5 PCs at my father's business and they all start around twice as quickly as they did on Windows 7. Most people are reflecting the same experiences online.

Windows 7 is awesome too, so I respect the fact you weren't comfortable with Windows 8 and went back. I love it and I wouldn't go back, personally.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I think you'll find the following make interesting reading:

http://www.nngroup.com/articles/windows-8-disappointing-usability/

http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-speed-and-performance-testing/

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/software/2012/10/26/windows-8-performance-benchmarks/1 (jump to page 7 for the summary)

And this might also put a spanner in the works in respect of IE performance between Win7 & Win8:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/77401.html

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

cooloox I think your video should be a permanent 'sticky' on the Win 8 forum here. I also think Windows 8 is 'awesome'.

Great video by the way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK