We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No taskbar, icons or wallpaper after boot

Wiresetc
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello all,

A few days ago my old laptop, a Toshiba, was acting slow, so I decided to try and improve its speed. I used CCleaner with standard settings and disabled some of the meaningless services and start-up programs in MSConfig.

After the reboot after cleaning, random programs stopped working. I got lots of svchost.exe errors when I tried to turn off my laptop. The next morning when I started Vista, there was no taskbar, icons or wallpaper. Just a black screen with one explorer opened. Right-clicking on the desktop was also disabled.

The first thing I did was try to open programs. IE, Opera, Media Player and all other things were still working. I searched the internet for solutions.

I tried the following things already: - Ctrl+Esc to see if Auto-Hide is enabled. - Ctrl+Shift+Esc, stop the explorer process and restart using the Run option. - Entering safe-mode (it was exactly the same as a normal boot). - Creating a different account. - Disable all services and start-up programs, leaving only the necessary hardware drivers. - Scanning for malware using AVG, Avira, McAfee and Malwarebytes. - System recovery to previous state.

None of the things above solved my problem. Every time I restart my laptop, the wallpaper which I have set will be reset to a black screen. My Vista is a Home Premium 32bit SP1. There is more info about my laptop on my profile if anyone needs it.

Thank you for helping in advance.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Glad you have found a resolution - thanks for reporting back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

iMac Retina 5K first look review: hands on with the new Retina iMac (Updated)