We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No taskbar, icons or wallpaper after boot

Wiresetc
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello all,

A few days ago my old laptop, a Toshiba, was acting slow, so I decided to try and improve its speed. I used CCleaner with standard settings and disabled some of the meaningless services and start-up programs in MSConfig.

After the reboot after cleaning, random programs stopped working. I got lots of svchost.exe errors when I tried to turn off my laptop. The next morning when I started Vista, there was no taskbar, icons or wallpaper. Just a black screen with one explorer opened. Right-clicking on the desktop was also disabled.

The first thing I did was try to open programs. IE, Opera, Media Player and all other things were still working. I searched the internet for solutions.

I tried the following things already: - Ctrl+Esc to see if Auto-Hide is enabled. - Ctrl+Shift+Esc, stop the explorer process and restart using the Run option. - Entering safe-mode (it was exactly the same as a normal boot). - Creating a different account. - Disable all services and start-up programs, leaving only the necessary hardware drivers. - Scanning for malware using AVG, Avira, McAfee and Malwarebytes. - System recovery to previous state.

None of the things above solved my problem. Every time I restart my laptop, the wallpaper which I have set will be reset to a black screen. My Vista is a Home Premium 32bit SP1. There is more info about my laptop on my profile if anyone needs it.

Thank you for helping in advance.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You may have been a bit over-zealous in the clean-out. You could try a system restore to an earlier point.

Like this post
Wiresetc

Likes # 0

System restore is in the list of things I tried already. I get this error Volume Shadow Copy Service does not work (0x81000202). If anyone knows how to fix this error, that would be fine too.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Have you gone back into MSConfig and re-ticked start ups you removed a bit of long shot but its worth a try.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

You can also do a registry repair in Ccleaner have a look at that, I think you will also get the option to back up the registry before you do a repair as well.

When you tried a system restore did you try it through Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, or through Vista Maintenance. From start.

Like this post
Wiresetc

Likes # 0

I have restored the registry with CCleaner and looked for a system restore point. There appear to be no restore points at all, which means I might not be able to go back to an older state even if the error in my previous comment was fixed. Anyway, I tried to restore my system by going to Control Panel->System->System Protection. After that I get the Shadow Copy error.

In MSConfig I have tried check marking all the start-programs. Unfortunately, there were no changes considering the taskbar and wallpaper.

There is a possibility that it is a virus, but I already tried McAfee, AVG, Avira and Malwarebytes. Not sure if that is enough.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have a look at this article about the shadow copy error and how to rectify it - have you tried all of these?

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Take a look here in Windows there is a lot of advice you need to scroll down a little, hope this helps.

Off Topic.

Seems like a lot of AVs running I use one, Microsoft Security Essentials only its free. I don't think it will run with McAfee, maybe to many AVs on one PC although this may not be the cause of your problem I would choose one and stick with Malwarebytes.

McAfee safe search will run with MSE.

Like this post
Wiresetc

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn and Explorer. The Shadow Copy Error is gone, but the service has not been used for quite a while, which means I have no restore points from before the taskbar disappeared.

I don't think the AVs are the cause. AVG was my standard scanner before the taskbar problem. I installed McAfee, Avira and Malwarebytes after that. Now I have AVG back again as my only scanner, just because no threads were found by the other scanners.

I'm thinking of re-installing Vista. It does not take that much time and the laptop will be clean again. Might be the easiest solution as well.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think a re-install may be the best solution too. Good luck

Like this post  
Wiresetc

Likes # 0

The problem is solved now. I found and used the recovery disc from my laptop to reinstall Vista and all the drivers. My taskbar, icons and wallpaper are back and the laptop is clean again. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers