We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Admin account disabled, or something...

Algreen946

Likes # 0

I have a desktop that I want to use as a lab for Win Server 2012, problem is I cannot access my Admin account. I can access the guest account but from there I can't do very much without the UAC screen asking for Admin password. I do not have reset disk or anything, the computer was bought from Amazon and is a custom build. I cant even get Speccy to tell what main board it s but Windows says it is a HP xw 4400 Workstation x64. I have run OhpCrack but it says the Admin account is "Disabled" but DID give me the password for the guest account... Any ideas?? I just want to install VMWare ESXi in it to run Win server 2012 so I can follow "Eli the Computer Guy" as he takes us through the track. Please help!!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Whoever supplied it should have provided it as from factory eg without any accounts already established. Who created the admin account?

Like this post
Algreen946

Likes # 0

It came with admin account as the default, I think I may have gone into Users and Accounts and done something stupid. Anyway it was all right when I first got it...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Have you got much data on it? Can you put it back to factory status?

However you should be still be able to change users.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Not sure if a system restore would get it back for you or not.

Like this post
Algreen946

Likes # 0

Na, can't change user settings, can't do system restore... I can go in to Computer Management where I can see permissions box, but it won't let me make any changes. A wipe and reload would be in order but I'm not sure the D drive has a decent recovery back up on it... Thanks for your replies, I'm not thick, I have tried the netuser CLI command thing as well and unless I'm doing that wrong, it don't work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

You've probably done this - on the shut down button what happens with the switch user option?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

or Ctrl-Alt-Delete - switch user.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Did you try this method: answers.microsoft.com

Like this post
Algreen946

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell and lotvic, I've only gone and found the recovery disk's!!!! Just running them now so should be all right. I've been weeks now thinking I've just got a really big web browser instead of a Microsoft Server 2012 lab!!! Have just got my CCNA and bought the desktop specifically for lab purposes last year for that but was able to do Network simulators GNS3 and Packet Tracer on this laptop. But moving on to MCITP or whatever it will be after July, I will need a machine just for that purpose. Thanks for your replies though...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund