We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Networking with XP machines problems

griffo

Likes # 0

I have just added a Windows 8 laptop to an existing home workgroup comprising 2 XP PC's.

When using the laptop wireless, the W8 laptop can see the 2 XP machines and their shared folders/files. The 2 XP PC's can see the W8 laptop but none of the shared items, only an entry in the 'my network places' list saying 'users on xyz laptop'.

In 'view workgroup computers' on the XP machines, the laptop appears but when double clicked, a dialog box called 'connect to xyz laptop' appears and it asks for a user name and password, which I don't know.

When I plug the laptop into the router by cable, the XP machines can see the shared folders on the W8 laptop but access is denied.

Can anyone advise please?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

When you boot up Windows 8 do you not get a screen showing your "Username" and then have to enter your "Password"? If so, these will be the details required to access the Laptop's files over the network.

Ideally, you should have the same Username/Password on all computers in your network.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply. I have tried that but it doesn't work. Also, it doesn't really explain the differences between wired and wireless?

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

mgmcc - my apologies, you are quite right, I had put in the wrong details - Doh! So thanks again.

I am still puzzled why the behaviour is dufferent when using wireless though.

Like this post
griffo

Likes # 0

Another question, why don't any of the shared items on the W8 laptop, show in 'my network places' on the XP machines? I have to go to 'View Workgroup Computers' to login to the laptop before anything is visible/accessible.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I am still puzzled why the behaviour is different when using wireless though."

It shouldn't make any difference whether you connect "wirelessly" or by ethernet cable, so I cannot offer an explanation.

"why don't any of the shared items on the W8 laptop, show in 'my network places' on the XP machines?"

Try installing the Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder from Microsoft's website in the XP PCs and see if that resolves the problem. Although the article mentions networking XP with Vista, it almost certainly applies to XP with Windows 7 & 8 too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft's all or nothing bet on Windows Phone is the best way forward

IDG UK Sites

Google adds better type rendering to its Chrome browser on Windows