We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

had to restore laptop to factory settings, now can't sync ipod to itunes

Joanna B

Likes # 0

I downloaded all photos, videos and itunes songs to USB stick. Took laptop back to factory settings (as talked through by KnowHow at PC World). Once ready, I inserted USB stick to transfer everything. For some reason when you click on one of the videos, you can here the sound but not the picture. When I tried watching the video through windows media player, it eventually told me the picture would not show as "codecs" were not attached? Does this mean I have "lost" the videos. Also, even though I downloaded Itunes onto the laptop, there is no option to transfer the songs on the USB stick to Itunes and I have even tryed the ipod to sync songs but it will not sync. There is Norton 360 security on the laptop. Any ideas anyone how I can get to watch the videos and get the tunes back onto Itunes? Thanks - Joanna

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Your ipod can only be tuned to one pc at a time and your restored pc needs to be authorised with your iTunes account - if you try to sync it with a new pc/itunes library it replaces what is on the ipod with whatever is in the new library - have a look at this article from the Apple Community

Like this post
Joanna B

Likes # 0

Hi, Thanks for response. Did what u suggested only to realise that I can't do it because it is a 2nd hand ipod so is registered to the previous owner. Should have bought a new one at the time rather than 2nd hand through Amazon!

Oh well.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You can hook up an ipod to as many computers as you wish but unless you set it to manual then it will automatically erase the ipod and sync to the computer you are plugging it in to. There should also be a reset option under which you can choose to re-register.

Have a look at the questions and answers here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days