We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My Documents vanished in Vista

Y2K_Phil

Likes # 0

A friend of mine's laptop has died on him about 3 year old Windows Vista machine. It was pretty old and so he has just replaced it with a new Windows 7 machine.

I have taken the HD out of the old laptop and plugged it into my old XP all of his my docs etc where there. So I picked up a cheap USB adapter and plugged the old drive into his new laptop. When I then go to his old my docs Win 7 complains about permissions so I reset them on an admin log in so they are owned by the new Win 7 administrator. However when I then go into the doc's folder everything has disappeared. A colleague of mine suggested Windows 7 makes them hidden files/folders but now I have the drive back in my XP machine that doesn't appear to be the case.

Can anyone out there help my recover this data does Win 7 move it somewhere?

Cheers

Phil

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

When the drive is plugged into your machine can you not drag/copy the files onto an external USB stick so that you can then put them onto his new machine or are you still asked for permissions for that?

Like this post
Y2K_Phil

Likes # 0

I gained access to all of the folders but the contents of them have vanished and I cannot see how to recover them

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Are they hidden perhaps?

Follow these steps to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers