We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copying desktop icon to Start menu

An Teallach

Likes # 0

The right-click option for copying a desk-top icon to the Start Menu in Windows 8 has disappeared. How can I get this facility back, please?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Click on the sidebar and choose search.

Whichever Icon you want in the start menu right click it and a toolbar opens at the bottom .Just click on the one that says Pin to Start Menu.

Like this post
An Teallach

Likes # 0

Oh no it doesn't! It used to do so a week ago, but not now. The only 11 options are consistently: Open / Open File Location / Troubleshoot Compatibility / Unpin from Taskbar / BitDefender / Send To (9 places but not Start Menu) / Cut / Copy / Create Shortcut / Delete / Rename / Properties. It is happening with all desktop icons,

Like this post
An Teallach

Likes # 0

Apologies, I misread your response because it didn't answer my specific question. The reason I want to place each icon onto the desktop before placing it onto the Start menu is that it gives me the chance to edit the title; for example, instead of the too-long wordy "Microsoft Excel 2010", I want just "Excel". I was able to do this a week ago, but no longer.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you been using a regisrty cleaner?

This should get your 'pin to start' in the context menu back, http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15624-pin-start-files-windows-8-a.html

Like this post
An Teallach

Likes # 0

Thank you, but it hasn't worked, there's no change. The 'Pin to Start' option appears when right-clicking some desk-top icons only, as before, but not the ones I am interested in. I have reluctantly given up. [I tried in twice, rebooting after each attempt]

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try right clicking the short cut icon, properties,open file location, then right clicking the .exe? Does the 'pin to start' appear there?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...