We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Pppoe error 651 & networking

kevvie81

Likes # 0

Hi ! I hope you can give some sort of advice.

I've installed Windows8 and have run all windows updates.

however, it doesn't matter which internet browser I open (firefox, chrome, IE), my mouse gets sluggish, and networking fails. although the little icon in the taskbar shows that networking is still connected. (ethernet cable to the adsl modem). I use a pppoe dialup connection to connect to my adsl isp. There is nothing I can do to let it work, so I have to restart the PC every time. So maybe it's a driver that crashes?

With windows 7, I do not have this problem at all.

The only network adapter driver is auto installed with windows8, and there's none available OS specific for windows 8. (have a gigabyte motherboard).

Have any of you experienced the same issue?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I use a pppoe dialup connection to connect to my adsl isp."

If you are having to create a "dialup" connection, that would suggest you're still using an old USB ADSL Modem, is that correct? If so, your ISP should be able to provide you with a combined ADSL Modem & Router.

Also, ADSL in the UK uses PPPoA protocol, not PPPoE.

Like this post
kevvie81

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for the reply. Sorry, what I meant with PPPoE was: In windows, where you go to "connect to the internet". windows gives me 2 options 1. Broadband (PPPoE) 2. Dialup I meant the broadband PPPoE option. (isp username and password, no phone number) The router is also connected via ethernet, no usb.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

In Windows, you shouldn't be going to "Connect to the internet". It is the function of the Modem/Router combination to connect to your ISP and any devices connected to the Router, whether by ethernet cable or "wirelessly", should automatically be online over the local network.

As you have connected the PC to the router by ethernet cable, there shouldn't even be anything to configure in Windows 8 to get online. Go to "Control Panel > Internet Options", select the Connections tab and ensure "Never dial a connection" is selected.

Like this post
kevvie81

Likes # 0

I have to use a username and password, the router is in bridge mode, as 3 other users needs to use their own isp accounts just like me. Sorry I didn't mention the router was in bridge mode.

However, bridge mode or not, the network connection still crashes, that's why it disconnects the internet. I have to restart the pc to get networking to work again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...