We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CD-ROM Not Reading/USB Reading As CD-Rom Drive

kp82

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some sort of advice as to what may be going on and/or what to do, or where to go next. I have a Gateway NV73 LapTop…that possibly may not even matter, though. I am using Windows 7.

I’ve recently (a month ago) installed Magic Jack onto my laptop-and have had zero issues until now. I was in the process of writing/burning a music CD via Nero 7 Premium. I was on my 2nd CD (I finished one CD, and it worked just fine), when all of a sudden my computer would no longer read my blank CD …later to realize that is was not reading any CD. And even later to realize that my computer was reading my USB post (where my Magic Jack is installed) as my CD Drive.

Ive tried DVDS, CDS, and it will not pick up anything. It always prompts me to “insert a CD and opens my CD door). So, it opens and closes fine…the green light goes on and then off. And it even registers as if it is TRYING to read the CD drive because the CD light above my keyboard constantly is blinking on and off.

I’ve uninstalled Nero. I’ve cleaned the registry via PC tolls registry cleaner. Ive even deleted the filters (both lower and upper). And nothing has worked. I wiped off the CD lens too.

Does this appear to possibly be something installed on my computer that is suspicious….?

Any words of wisdom will help. I use my CD-Rom all the time!

Thank you in advance!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You don't say what the condition of the PC was when the drive stopped working, were you connected to the internet, was there any likelihood there was an incoming call or were you also performing any other task?

Could the drive have failed? If it suddenly went down and fails to recognise any CD after a lot of use (" I use my CD-Rom all the time") it could simply be worn out and failed.

The fact your PC is attempting to identify a drive and finding the USB may also be an indication.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September