We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting continual Updates on every shutdown.

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

Running W7 Home premium sp1 on Zoostorm Intel 3Ghz i5 8Gb RAM. Each time I shut down I get: 2 windows updates that need to be installed. I looked in the database on PCA forums and thought I had found the solution, following the instructions that apparently came from MS site, and did the following, went into services stopped updates, changed the folder Windows> Software Distribution added OLD to the file name. Returned to services reactivated the updates and rebooted. However this does not seemed to have cured the problem. If I go to Update history, the following update shows 5 times as being a successful installed :Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351). Running Belarc Advisor it shows two copies of this KB2656351 as two critical updates still required by the computer. Any advice appreciated.

Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Difarn thanks, thought of that one, but with the number of re-installs I have done(14 so 14 restore points) only takes the earliest restore point back to 17/02/13 which is after the problems started. The computer is only about 1,5 months old. Select the updates I want is what I have selected but this update is a critical update, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. I can only assume as the update history says it has successfully installed, I'll just have to assume it has. Thanks anyway.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you seen this fix from Microsoft?

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks again difarn, have had a quick look at the site there seems to be a bit more info here than when I downloaded the MS fixit prog. I didn't realize that there was an aggressive setting. I will have a read up and try running it tomorrow. Its getting time to go out here in Cyprus (need a break from this problem) Thanks again, will report back on the outcome.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Further info: I thought I would try again so read through it, the site says there are two modes for MS fixit, well I ran it in default mode, and then said it had not fixed the problem and never got an option to run it in aggressive mode. I then ran the MSvirus spyware which it suggests you run if the updates are installed, which didn't find any problem. But they don't give an option on what to do if it doesn't find a problem. It appears to do exactly the same as the version I ran yesterday. Anyway thanks, but it is time for me to take a rest from this, it's driving me up the wall.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just so you know that you are not on your own - an article from the Microsoft Community offering more things to try.

A good idea to go out and enjoy yourself - a lot warmer in Cyprus than it is here I believe.

Like this post  
hiwatt

Likes # 0

You could try turning off windows updates then go to safe mode with networking and install the "problem" update manually(after uninstalling it first)

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Also this fix helped solve an update problem a couple of posts down! http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/169153-how-repair-windows-update-service.html

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn and Hiwatt for sticking with me on this one. there seems to be quite a lot to read up on, will have a look and see if I havn't tried some of the cures suggested, will try them and report back. As you say difarn I am not alone seems that quite a few have the same problem. Cheers

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

SUCCESS (I think - put it like this only the final reboot, windows updates said "No important updates available"). Hiwatt I tried that solution but thanks anyway. The article from - Microsoft Community - that difarn suggested seemed to produce the solution. There seem to be numerous variations on a theme so :Here is what I did:

I uninstalled manually .NET Framework 4 client profile and .NET Framework 4 Extended via Control Panel> uninstall programs.

I think I could have left the above steps out, had I just run .NETFrameworkCleanup_tool.zip (I think this does the uninstall for you, but I ran it anyway). Then did a shutdown although this was not called for. On reboot I installed .NET Framework, shutdown(not called for) rebooted and went to window updates and surprise surprise there were 11 waiting to be downloaded and installed, which I did (takes the best part of an hour)and then shutdown (restart is offered, but I opted to shutdown as there appear to be quite a few comment that full shutdown is required at times). On reboot there was no important updates available. HOORAY. I recon I must have spent 8+hours on this Pain in the Axxx, so hopefully this thread might help others not go through the rigmarole I went through. One more comment reading all the different forums this problem seems to arise with relatively new computers with W7 loaded so not sure if it is a problem with OEM W7. Thanks again to Hiwatt and difarn for their help.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

My heart jumped for joy when I saw the green tick. Well done for your perserverence.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks