We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting continual Updates on every shutdown.

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

Running W7 Home premium sp1 on Zoostorm Intel 3Ghz i5 8Gb RAM. Each time I shut down I get: 2 windows updates that need to be installed. I looked in the database on PCA forums and thought I had found the solution, following the instructions that apparently came from MS site, and did the following, went into services stopped updates, changed the folder Windows> Software Distribution added OLD to the file name. Returned to services reactivated the updates and rebooted. However this does not seemed to have cured the problem. If I go to Update history, the following update shows 5 times as being a successful installed :Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351). Running Belarc Advisor it shows two copies of this KB2656351 as two critical updates still required by the computer. Any advice appreciated.

Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Further info: I have just run the Microsoft Fix it program and it states it has "Repaired Windows Update components" but it makes no difference on shutdown I am still getting the "Please do not power off or unplug your machine - installing updates 1of 2"

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

There's so much on the web about problems installing updates to NET.Framework, and, becuase you may need different versions, you need to check the version of each problem and sort out that one. What does puzzle me is that you say you have Windows7 and yet you've managed to install v4 for XP?

I think the frist thing to do would be to go to Uninstall a program in Control Panel and look for Microsoft NET.Framework4. if you have more than one version report back exactly what each says especially install on date, size and version. Remember, this is V4 - you should ignore any other versions at present. If you only have the one entry, select it and attempt to repair it (you get 2 options, repair and delete). Reboot and see what happens.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Try turning windows updates(automatically)off.Reboot and then change to let me choose when to download and install them.See if that helps?

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks for your time replying:

As far as : Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)

As you can see this update is not just for XP but everything upto but not including W8. I looked at the updates and there are two copies both installed today (I presume after I changed the file name and re updated) one copy is under the heading Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client profile and the other copy under the heading Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Extended. Right clicking only gives me the option of uninstall no fix option is offered. I haven't done it yet, but the uninstall option on them both seems the best option then try the Microsoft fix it program again and see if that sorts it. What do you think.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention these updates are version 1 according to the list.

Hiwatt thanks for that, yes I did that when I renamed the original Software distribution file.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Also the file downloaded waiting to be installed is this (KB2656351) even though it is showing as installed, that's why I am thinking maybe uninstall do a safe mode reboot and then try installing again ???

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Tried uninstalling KB2656351 and reinstalling rebooting, Then ran Belarc Advisor again and it says this critical update is missing still.

The other update that seems to keep appearing is : Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217)

But this does not appear as a missing update on Belarc Advisor

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

After uninstalling, did you reboot before re-installing? Also try safe boot-up after uninstalling.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input Xania, Yep rebooted after uninstalling with the update setting to Don't download or update unless selected. Then did a clean reboot and installed (for about the 10th time) with the same result, with the update saying that there were the two updates(previously named)ready to download even though the history of updates show these updates as being updated successfully installed numerous times. The only solution seems to be leave the updates to be selected manually and assume that as the history states they are installed correctly, and just ignore the reminders for these two updates.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I would be tempted to restore PC to a date before these problems started, make sure that you then change updates from automatic to install only giving you the option to download what you want.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer