We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why do I get this when closing down, please?

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

Again, friend's laptop - Samsung R519

Each time I shut down, this message is displayed, then it shuts down ok. I've never seen it on other machines. Maybe it's typical to this make/model, or something?

Http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6660/20130217172923c.jpg

Is there something I can / should do to 'fix' it, or do we just accept it with a smile? ;)

Thanks very much

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

There is something that hasn't shut down properly and it is preventing Windows itself from shutting down immediately.

Before you shut down next time, go into Task Manager** and see if there is anything obvious that shouldn't still be running.

**Windows 7/8 - press Ctrl-Shift-Esc

**Windows XP - press Ctrl-Alt-Del

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I have the same problem with an Acer netbook running Win7 Starter. Nothing ever shows in Task Manager and I have Googled it many times looking for a solution, but to no avail. I shall watch this thread with interest in the outcome.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The clue is in the URL. The site is "imageshack.us" which is a photo and video hosting site and the item is "img607" which is the close down screen.

It would appear you have an open link to this site for some reason; it may be malicious but I'm not certain and a deep scan should reveal it if it is.

You can see the link by pasting the URL in a blank search bar, but I have been unable to get a link to work. The image is a blue screen with the 'Waiting for background programs to close' wording.

I suggest you run Ccleaner or similar to remove all cookies and see if this helps.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"The clue is in the URL"

I think the OP has simply taken a photo of the error message he's seeing and uploaded it to "imageshack", so that we can see what it is. I don't believe that "imageshack" itself is the problem.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

Yes, mgmcc you are spot on. I use imageshack to post images. What you see when clicking on the link (which I've just realised didn't 'link' properly) is what I see on the screen when closing down. So, here it is again:

Http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6660/20130217172923c.jpg

I am in the UK, in spite of it being a US site. I don't believe you will 'catch' anything from viewing my images. Certainly, no-one has complained and I have been posting a few images recently, using imageshack

Also, I'm using my own PC when posting, not the laptop which is displaying the message.

Now, back to the original issue, here is a screen dump of what is running on the laptop when idle, no apps open at all. I don't know if this may, or may not, be relevant - http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4025/allprocessesmemoryusage.jpg

Interestingly, Alt+Ctrl+Esc doesn't do anything; +Del just closes it down. So, just went to Task Manager from Task Bar.

I've recently used the Recovery utility to restore to Factory Settings and only a few necessary basic installations so wouldn't have expected files to be corrupted.

Hopefully, someone can suggest what is happening?

Thanks for any help

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

It would help if your screen dump showed Processes from all users and you identified if any Applications are running.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks johndrew Here are the screen dumps showing the list of processes going on re all users, as you suggested.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9087/dump1j.png

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/7079/dump2.png

I've checked again, and Applications screen is blank, ie now other apps running, only the background ones as shown in the previous dump, hence my query.

Thanks for any help/advice

Cheers

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

There's a BecHelper service for 3 mobile dongle there. That might be causing the slow shut-down. As long as it shuts down correctly I wouldn't be too worried. I would suggest not to be tempted to click on the 'force shut-down' tab in case you corrupt something.

Like this post  
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave

No, I don't actually click on Force close. The screen disappears quite quickly without any help from me. It was just so annoying and I felt it would cause my friend concern seeing that every time the laptop was shut down.

I noticed that 3 mobile dongle program before I did the Recovery, and thought it had maybe been installed by the previous owner.

However, I have, just now, uninstalled 3Connect and, Yippee, laptop closes down much quicker and without displaying the force close screen. :)

Thank you all very much for all your help here.

I will mark this as solved! Although I've ticked rdave's post, credit has to be given to all of you.

@canarieslover - I hope you can work out what is causing your 'Force Close' screen soon.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Glad it's resolved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...