We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Placing Windows defender in the hidden icons

bturner

Likes # 0

On my laptop with Windows 7 I have Microsoft security essentials running and an icon is in the hidden icons box on the bar at the bottom of the screen.

My Mother just bought a laptop and has Windows Defender running in Windows 8 and would like it to be in the hidden icons box, how do I get it in there please?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Little arrow on the Taskbar beside the icons.Click on that and press customise.Then use the dropdown bar across from Windows Defender or whatever it is called and choose the setting that you want.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure it will allow it. The icon needs to be there to show when necessary to run a scan. Worth a try though.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

I always run my scans manually when I want them to run and I always keep mine set to only show notifications.

That way they don't appear on the taskbar so I just go into customise and run them from there.

Now not sure if that is what bturner wants to do or not or whether MSE is Different but that's the way I do mine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should work then. I suppose it will then only show when a scan is needed.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

rdave, you are right, the icon needs to be there in order to customise.

Today I downloaded Superantispyware and the SAS icon automatically placed itself in the hidden icons section on the bottom tool bar.

I do have Defender running but there is no icon in the hidden icons section. It would be nice to know if it's running fine or not.

If I want to check microsoft security essentials is running on Windows 7 I click the small triangle which lets me see all the icons and I hover the cursor over the MSE icon and it lets me know "PC status: Protected".

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

There's a little app written that will do this for you, its called Windows Defender Status Manager. I've installed it and it works ok although for some strange reason if you hover over the icon in the notification area there's a little red x on the icon but it all works just fine.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/01/27/windows-defender-status-manager-makes-security-easier/

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thank-you.

So in your opinion it is perfectly safe to download this app and install it? I have to ask as it is my Mothers laptop.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Also when I go to your link and click the blue link on that page I HTTP 404 not found.

http://www.itknowledge24.com/downloads/windows-defender-status-manager.php

Is that link working for anyone else?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Works ok for me maybe it has been fixed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Defender is probably part of MSE now so you will not have both running.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?