We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Please help I have installed a new Software program(Serif DPX5)

ScattyMuse

Likes # 0

but I cannot find my cursor!

Like this post
ScattyMuse

Likes # 0

Forgot to say this is a Brand New Toshiba laptop so is the first program I have installed. it is the only reason I bought the Laptop as my old one was too slow(bought in circa 2002-3) usually run my Mac which is where I am now as I can't bliddy find the cursor so I can't even minimise the program!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe try restarting the laptop to see if it comes back or try safe mode and see if it works on there.If so last good configuration might solve the problem.

Maybe a system restore if nothing else works.

Switch of the laptop by pressing the windows logo on the keyboard.Then use the arrows on the keyboard to the shut down button.switch off or do a system restore.

Like this post
ScattyMuse

Likes # 0

I pressed the windows key, it took me back to the start pages, sorry very unfamiliar with this, I have only used XP before.

Serif opened, then I pressed the window key again and it took up only half the screen, then some voice software started there was no exit /close down key but the voice said it would shut down the computer in 2 hours so I am leaving it to do that as it installed an update to some software( Possibly the Serif one as I did download patches to that) I should have restarted on install but forgot.

Will see what happens tomorrow, Hoping I don;t have to do a sys restore this early on getting the laptop. only had it 2 weeks.

thanks Scatty!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Pressing Ctrl Alt Del brings up a window and using your up down arrows on the keyboard you can choose to shut down,Taskmanager.Sign off and not sure what the last one is.

At least you can switch it off.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's not a touch-screen laptop by any chance?

The two hour warning is for Windows updates usually.

Like this post
ScattyMuse

Likes # 0

no, not touch screen as far as I can tell, it was just a £300.00 laptop> Toshiba Satellite L850D, after the restart I found the cursor on the first page but when opening the Serif program it has disappeared again. then I used the window key to go back to the menu page? managed to open Settings but still no cursor showing. I says V1.00.0002.32002!

Now not even the arrow keys seem to work! :-(

I pressed CTRL ALT DEL and task manager came up, two choices Browser(I downloaded Firefox as my browser of choice< and Toshiba System settings, I can only use the arrow keys to swap between these 2 NOTHING else, cannot even choose 'end task' or 'more details'

OK pressed the window key WHICH worked and took me back to the menu page! If I had known how difficult this would have been I would not have bought a WIN8 machine BUT there were no others available. at least in my fairly limited search online or in store,Having now purchased the DPX5 software especially I cannot seem to use anything! I need to get some work out for Tuesday so looks like I will have to go back to my old lappie and do it on there. Thankfully I have not yet wiped it before passing to my grandson for him to use at work.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe restart and remove Serif DPX5.Does the mouse key work ok if you do not open that program.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Some keystrokes that may come in handy.

Keystrokes

I suppose you could try holding the windows button down and pressing C at the same time.Go into settings.Click on general and go across to refresh.And press that.

That sort of refreshes W/8 but you would loose some programs that you have downloaded.

Maybe do that as a last resort but I would imagine someone will be able to help you with the mouse problem.

Have you tried starting in safe mode to see if it works on there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014