We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing/Understanding size of partitions Win 7

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi Laptop running Win 7 Pro

I'm a bit unsure of how the hard drive is divided, and what each partition is doing. When Win Explorer open, it shows C drive (67Gb) and D drive (66.9Gb). However, on expanding the drives, ie in the left hand panes, D drive says 'empty'

Having now downloaded Easus Partition Manager, it shows what apparently looks like 4 partitions, and I assume one of them is the Recovery (15Gb, of which 7Gb is used). When adding up the Gb showing in EPM it suggests a 250Gb drive but I have seemingly only got 66Gb accessible.

I'd like to re-organise the drive/partitions, so that I have increased storage for general use, and the Recovery partition.

Can you help me achieve this, please? As ever, I'll be very grateful for your help :)

I don't seem to be able to create a link to an image, for some reason no icon to click on to do this. Will try in next post

Cheers

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just seen lotvic's link on the other post after posting here.

You can still use the free space on your C and D partitions to install programs and save documents etc. If you feel you need more space then buy a caddy (enclosure) and another hard drive to put in. This way your backups are safer and you can also use more than one hard drive. That way, your GB saving space can be unlimited if you have the cash:) These encolsures are cheap as chips but the HDDs a bit more expensive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah good, rdave's here (I should have refreshed page..) I echo that advice, if your friend wants more space for documents/films etc then I would suggest getting a usb external harddrive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave, right that's it I'm off to bed... we keep cross posting :))

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , ... we keep cross posting , true lol. Could be that this recovery on the D drive creates an image of 'factory reset', and the recovery on the C:\ drive creates an image of 'as of now'. Something Asus do?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That should be ACER not Asus.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Couldn't sleep, anyway found it, looks like owner could have created a backup using Samsung Recovery Solution as per support-us.samsung.com but not sure as the files didn't show up in Windows Explorer, maybe somehow they chose to hide them?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AroundAgain, as you did a F4 recovery (other thread) can you check W7's region and clock as in your screenshots the times on files (date modified on D:\SamsungRecovery) don't seem to tally with UK time.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That makes sense. The D recovery is the 'live image' that has been created previously. The other way round to my other post.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi rdave and lotvic

Many thanks - your suggestions re using the remainder of D drive and leaving partitions well alone struck a note somewhere, so I tried again re accessing D drive with the 'Show Hidden Folders/files' un/ticked (?), was then able to create a new folder in D, then Not show hidden folders etc, and it now lets me access that new folder so now the remainder of D is accessible, but not the recovery files and stuff. Don't know why, or if, I tried that before....

@lotvic, I checked the region/date/time as you suggested. It was on the correct region, ie London etc, date was ok but time was 1 hour behind so have corrected that. That was very observant of you!!! :) Thanks

So, now I just would like to have an opinion as to increasing RAM or, in fact, if that's appropriate so I'll start yet another thread, with a screen dump of the Task Manager - Performance tab.

Thanks again guys. You've been a great help. I wouldn't be able, or confident enough, to do half the stuff I've been doing without this site and, of course, Google! ;)

Cheers

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...