We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

w8 and the w7 image tool partition problem

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

In w7 I made a "d" partion and used w7 save image to it every month worked just fine.

now the problem with w8 the "c" drive was 902gb just sort of 1tb so went to disk mnagement but it would only let me shrink the "c" to 457gb still very large would not let me shrink it anymore no idea why? so did that and set up a "d" partition with the remaining 449gb [healthy primary]. then a defrag and to the w7 image tool which auto selects the "D" for the backup and lists [EFI partition, [C][system], windows RE tools [system] to be backed up. all fine so far, but when i click start backup i get the following error warning "there is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location. make sure that, for all volumes to be backed up, the minimum required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. This applies to both the backup storage destination and volume included in the backup. minimum requirement for volumes less that 500mg the minimum is 50mg of free space. recommended at least 1gb of free space on each volume if the volume size is more than 1gb [0x80780119]" my "C" drive is still 86% free space i can not shrink it anymore for unknown reason and totaly lost on how to sort this saga out, never had this in w7.

anyone got the patience to grasp all this anh help out please.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Click here for an explanation of your problem the solution seems to be not to use the Windows tool but a third party one such as Partition Wizard Click here I have to admit that it is the tool of my choice,

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

chub tor

thanks looks like thats the reason. But I cannot see the logic in dumping the MFT at the end partition.

I had emailed samsung hoping for a reply during the next week if not I will give that software a run, i have downloaded it ready. windows 8 had been pre installed not very good install.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

chub

my defrag screen showed the mft at the end too, samsung email support I am sure is answered by a computer that looks at key words then sends a reply from a pre list, all i got was an email if i have deleted partitions to reset the computer nothing like the question, similar thing happened when i emailed about the battery. decided to phone customer support, I think it ended up on divert to america, but the tech support was poor in my opinion they could not grasp shrinking a partition and kept tryiny to tell me that the 457gb drive could not be shrunk as it was full despite repeating to them dsk manager reported 86% free space. gave up on them in the end.

my theory they sould have made a smaller C drive before installing windows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......