We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anti virus

bturner

Likes # 0

My Mother has just bought her first laptop, tomorrow I will help her to install Windows 8 which is pre installed.

She bought Norton Anti Virus.

I was going to download and install Malwarebyes and Superantispyware, is that a good or bad idea?

Apparently with Windows 8 you cannot make recovery discs but instead need to make them on a flash drive.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No doubt you bought it from PC World or Curry's.

Most new computers come with a trial anti virus on them that can be used on the short term.As you are going to put Norton on it you will need to delete the Anti-virus that usually comes with the computer

Norton.Malwarebytes and Superantispyware sounds Ok.If you are going to download the last two go into services and scroll down to Windows Defender and disable it and also stop it from running.

I hope your mum is not to old as she may not get on very well with W/8

Not sure if there will be any sort of clash between Norton and the other two programs maybe someone who uses them can tell you if they will be Ok or not.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure about manufacturer's own partition and the ability to create factory reset DVDs. You will have to look at 'all apps' (similar to all programs) for info. Dell might have an app for Recovery Manager or similar. Other manufacturers the same or they will just depend on 8 for creating a recovery media, which, in my opinion, is a cop out if true.

Windows 8 Tip: Create Recovery Media

Once you get to the Start page, have a look at the Apps, then right click a blank space and in the lower bar that opens, select all apps. The new window shows 'all programs' in app boxes. Any trials there, then right click the app and select uninstall in the lower bar that opens. Just check that you don't need them. If Norton there then uninstall as you will install a newer version anyway.

Don't listen to Jock1e as he's set in his ways :) Sorry Jock1e !!

bturner , bet your mum will take to Win 8 easier than you will.. lol.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As for Malwarebytes and SAS, if free versions only, I can't see Norton complaining but as it is such an invasive security suit, it might be better to wait until Norton up and running. Then try one and see what happens.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies.

Yes she bought it from PC world and she is in her 70's.

I am familiar with Windows 7, never used 8 before.

We did not want to buy Norton anti virus, I said can't she use Windows Defender ans security essentials, he said " Windows Defender no longer exists".

Apparently I will be promted to insert a flash drive that she bought to create a recovery disc.

Yes I was thinking of installing the free versions of SAS and MWB.

So my plan is, turn on, follow prompts, create recovery on flash drive, delete the version of Norton already installed, install the new Norton anti virus, get connected to the internet.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can use optical media to create a Recovery disc. See my previous link. Windows Defender is included in Windows 8. It is different to the 7 version as it includes antivirus and antispyware, similar to Microsoft security essentials. Ran it myself for a while as Avast was causing problems. I'm now running free AVG, one off payment for Malwarebytes pro, free version SAS and spywareblaster and that's my security set-up. Win 8 firewall is good enough.

I think you were wrongly advised for some reason.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Your mother is in her 70s so I will tell you now she will not have a clue what to do in W/8 and you will have the same problem.

If it is unopened I would take it back and get one with W/7 on it.

That's PC World for you selling you things that you don't need.I don't suppose you bought a 3 year warranty as well.

If you really struggle with W/8 you can download this.

Classic Shell

That will put the start bar and all programs back on W/8 not as good as W/7 one but better than none.

rdave 13 is quite right I am set on my ways but know my limitations.And W/8 without the classic shell is a no no for me.

I am ages with your mother so I know she is going to hate it.But will be delighted if you prove me wrong.

Remember all your windows updates and best of luck to both of you.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies.

The installation was faster than I was expecting.

Windows 8 is a lot different and it took a bit of searching to find out how to turn it off and get to the desktop but I got used it and quite like it.

My mother is very new to computers so it is not as if she has to forget W7. she will pick it up in time.

I am annoyed that the salesman told me there is no Windows Defender anymore.

I said no to the extra warrenty, we took the first free month of support though (as I live quite a distance from her) and can cancel that if we want in 3 weeks time.

So for now I signed up to the free 2 months of Norton Antivirus. I can take the one we paid for back and get a refund or use it in 60 days time.

I also had problems with Avast on my desktop so use Malwarebytes and SAS with Microsoft seurity essentials.

So you say W8 does have defender on there. Does it have Microsoft security essentials?

I am going back Saturday, how do I make a recovery disc/flash drive? I was not prompted to make one and could not find that option.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Yes windows defender is on it whether it is part of MSE I am not sure.

You live quite a distance.You can get into your mothers computer from yours and fix any problems that way and you don't even need to leave your own house.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thanks.

I googled "does windows 8 have microsoft security essentials?" and found this thread

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/does-microsoft-security-essentials-work-for/8529ff80-30b6-4555-b2ca-24d46ef7f4c9

So I think the PC world guy got it wrong when I asked if W8 has Defender.

I could try to find and activate Windows Defender and delete the 60 day Norton AV.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Windows Defender and W/8

Windows Defender and how it works.

I must admit I do not like Windows Defender but maybe it has improved on W/8

First thing I normally do is switch it off.

Right click the very bottom left hand side of the screen and choose Control Panel from the list.

Windows Defender should be on that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

How to send an app or iBook as a gift in iOS 8 for Christmas