We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

where on w8 is the link to goto ms updates

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

tried keys words in search but getting nowhere, there is no proper list of programs to check, and its not in the list of these apps bits.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just right click the very bottom left hand side of the screen and click on control panel windows updates.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks

going round in circles with microsoft account at present, i get a confirmation email, i click on the link to confirm then get a message saying this is not my email. tried returning email with a request for assistance but the email is bounced back not known.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure about this but usually when you download W/8 it asks for an e-mail address and password to continue is this what you are using on the mail tab.

I closed that one and downloaded my normal e-mail provider as I thought it was easier to use.

What e-mail provider do you use.

I use Windows Live mail and if I have any problems I just go into the internet and open it from there just to see if it is working ok.

Maybe you have a , instead of a . or the settings may have changed.

Check out the proper settings from your ISP or mail provider.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Apart from all that how are you getting on with W/8 it can be a bit of a nightmare when you start and still is for me.

I was told that I would get used to it eventually but I don't think that is ever going to happen.

I downloaded Classic Shell which brings back the Start button and all programs but you can change it about if you wish.

Without that I would have been back using W/7 again.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

jock

sorted out that email saga after a couple of reboots it got accepted.

this whole process is driving me to frustration. lost my Norton toolbar will go to their forum later, samsung has a handy tool for updating drivers but the nvida one for graphics not sticking tried 3 times.

when these apps come on how do you get shot of them I have resorted to drag them off the screen, escape button does not help, no other options that I can find to close them.

also action centre has 3 problems it enabling firewall and spyware I fix it back the error message remains, it also reports scan drive for errors despite clicking run scan nothing happens not sure what to do about that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What happens when you just click on the desktop app, Does the rest of them disappear.

It should be the one with a couple of daisy's on it.

In action centre top left there is Change action centre settings.

Click on that and it gives you lots of things to either check or uncheck.

Now I am not sure that is the proper way of doing it now.it was a lot easier to do on W/7.

Scan drive for errors maybe you need Java downloaded I am not sure if that is the problem but there is a few programs I cannot open now without java.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Now chkdsk has changed in W/8 and is run during automatic maintenance with no need to reboot the computer.

Now once again never tried it but did notice that mine is set to automatic and to run at 3.30 each day.

If you don't use Windows Defender go into services and disable it and stop it from running.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

jock

got on top of it last night all drivers accepted at last, action centre now sorted itself out.

still not mastered closing an app down once it has opened. plus to use an app takes ages to open even minesweeper and solitair.

another odd thing the samsung laptop battery is not removable, now i thought you had to remove them when fully charged to keep them lasting longer so resorted to running off the battery which is lasting very well indeed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I don't get the Apps because I am using classic shell so not sure how to remove them.

If I remember right you could click on an app and you had a few icons open at the bottom of the screen one being a bin and you clicked on that and it gave you the oppertunity of deleting the app.

I must warn you my memory is not as good as it used to be.

Now to remove the App go to the top left corner of the computer and click on that it should take you back to your previous page.Or right click it and press delete.

Never heard of a laptop with a battery that could not be removed I can imagine having a few problems with that in the future

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

jock

when a app is open there is no bar down below i have tried this click in cornrs that does not do anything perhaps i am not doing it right, the charms side pop up is hard to arouse too.

i downloaded a couple of free pdf books on windows8 inside out and optimse/troubleshoot w8 insideout going to reread them now i have w8 and something to relate too.

very impressed with laptop, w8 a pig to get started but getting used to it a bit now [except apps]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger