We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Upgrade problems invalid_extended_processor_state

Carnageangels

Likes # 0

I have a self built computer currently running windows 7 64 bit. I have recently tried to install the windows 8 upgrade. It installs but on first boot i get a message 'their is a problem and windows has to restart and to refer to the thread invalidextendedprocessor _state. The machine then restarts and does the same again within seconds of the metro apps loading. When I tried this I installed windows 8 upgrade from the exe file from the download. A friend has told me I will not get this issue now if I upgrade from the proper win 8 upgrade media disk. I am not sure. I really do not want to reinstall win 7 all over again if it does not work. When I run the download assistant the only thing I dont understand is that my pc does not support secure boot so I can not use it though I doubt this is causing the problem. I cannot find if my cpu supports the nx.PAE and SSE2 requirements of windows 8 but it is not an old processor. I done a clean install originally so I think it is unlikely to be a driver conflict. Any ideas anyone? I have a M4A78LT-M LE Mobo with an Athlon 2 x4 640 3.0 Ghz processor. Thanks in advance for any help.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

See if it will start in safe mode,Hold down the Shift button and keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.

It uses less drivers on there so if it does start try device manager and see if any problems in there.

Also if you get in there is a refresh button on there that will restore W/8 to its original condition but you would loose any programs that you have installed which should be nil I suppose.

There is also a reinstall button which installs W/8 again.

So that might answer your question can you download W/8 on top of W/8 it seems reasonable to me.

It may not accept the Keycode if you do it that way but if you phone Microsoft they will sort it out for you.

Sorry can't help with any of your other stuff but no doubt someone else can help.

Like this post
Carnageangels

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e. It does start in safe mode and remain there no problems. But nothing comes to light in there. In cannot find any conflicts (well nothing that sticks out and says here I am). I think I shall just try again this time with the media disk. Perhaps trying to install windows 8 from the image on my desktop might not have been the best idea of 2013.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You are a bit lucky getting into safe mode.It does not work for some including myself.

Maybe wait and see what others suggest first before you do anything drastic.

You can get into refresh or restore by going into the sidebar and choosing settings.Then click on change PC Settings.Then general.

Refresh, Reinstall,Advanced start up which you can use USB.DVD.or an Image.

No doubt you already new that but thought I would add it in just in case you didn't.

No yellow exclamation marks in device manager.Sometimes it just needs a driver update but which one.Or an unsigned driver would also do it.

Not sure if you can run sfc /scannow in safe mode or not.Maybe worth a try.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

It's never a good idea to try and do an in place upgrade in Windows. Leads to no end of problems in my experience.

Copy all the docs etc you need and then either burn the Windows 8 ISO to disc or use the Windows 7 USB Download tool to burn the ISO to a USDB stick of at least 8 gig capacity.

Then do a clean install of Windows 8 formatting your hard drive when asked to do so.

This will wipe your previous Windows 7 install including ALL files so make sure you do a comprehensive back up beforehand. But this is the only way of ensuring that any problems you do get are not caused by your old Windows install.

Have you checked that all Windows 8 drivers are available for your PC?

Like this post
Carnageangels

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I now have a back up upgrade disk from microsoft so I can load it via the dvd. I have downloaded the upgrade assistant and it stated that all the things I have on win 7 will work in win 8 including xfi soundcard and nvidia 450 graphics. I am hoping the clean formatted install will do the trick. I will let people know if its sorted it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?