We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 8 (32-bit) hdd requirements, if inc all updates?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I would like to find out how much space Windows 8 32-bit requires, if taking into account all important ms updates and service packs to date, rather than just the minimum usually stated on the microsoft website? They say it requires the same space as vista and 7 (16-20GB depending on version). In reality vista and 7 32bit can take up 30GB with all updates, so I imagine 8 is pretty much the same, around 30GB? Vista was considered as bloatware by some reviewers, so I wonder how much has changed. Not that 30GB is a great deal of space if taking into account a modern hdd, but if someone is limited and is considering 8, it might be to them. Thanks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

19Gb mine uses including security programs.

I hope I calculated it properly so wait for input from others.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm using 25GB with security and other essential programs (burning, video playing, movie making and so on) that need to be on the SSD. However as it is an SSD, system restore, hibernate, defrag, indexing, timestamp, prefetch, event logging and name creation have been disabled.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Oh, and virtual memory dropped to 1 GB on an 8 gig ram system.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry, that should be I have 25 gig left of a 65 gig ssd.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Got a 120 gig SSD with two partitions running 8 and Ubuntu. The Windows partition is 64 gig with around 35 free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...