We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

adobe flash 64 bit on w8 need advice please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i normally have the following browsers

IE, FF. CHROME.

looking at adobe downloads there is 64bit flash for IE and 64bit for non IE.

now a bit lost in the later firfox and chrome only seem to be 32 bit only so for non IE flash do i download 32bit or 64 bit.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

similar saga with java 7

do i just install 64 bit or both to cover 32 bit firfox/chrome or will two versions of java clash

new to 64 bit

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You don't download flash for I/E as it is now downloaded by Windows Updates.

Got the same problem.I did read somewhere that you only needed the 64Bit version for one of them but not sure which one or if that is true or not.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

jock

what did you do about java?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

No got that wrong if you use I/E 64 bit version you will need the 32Bit version as well.That was for Java.Not sure which Flash version Microsoft uses.

Other than that you just need the 32 Bit version.

It is getting a little bit confusing all the different versions.

At the moment I have deleted Java and everything works Ok without it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Deleted Java so if it works ok without it maybe just use the 32Bit version see how you get on.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

jock thanks going to set it all tomorrow, no doubt more questions will pop up.

the laptop has a 8gb ssd cache plus hdd trying to read up on this setup i had a change of spec at last min so was not expecting this ssd cache so not sure if TRIM command covers it or not.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If I were you I would simply install the 32 bit versions and use the 32 bit browser version of IE. There is no real advantage to using the 64 bit version

one problem with Java is that downloading and installing the 64 bit version tends to remove the Java icon fro Control Panel so you lose the ability to check for updates manually and to see what version you have installed.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

IE 10 is 64 bit on 64 bit PCs. alanrwood, no choice except new tabs can open in 32-bit by default on a 64-bit PC. I've changed the option on tabs as 64-bit is more secure.

On 64-bit Windows 8, the browser frame process (both “modern UI” and Desktop) runs 64-bit. However, for compatibility with plug-ins, IE 10 on the desktop runs 32-bit tabs by default. If the user turns on “Enhanced Protected Mode” in Internet Options, Advanced; they will have 64-bit tabs by default for IE 10 on the Desktop.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Sorry I was thinking in Win 7 terms.From what I can understand from the above I would install both versions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...