We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost on defrag ssd & hdd

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

after spending a few weeks reading up on w8 and asking questions I felt confident, then at a last min change of specs on intended laptop.

the samsung series 7 has an SSD 8gb and a larged normal hdd for files etc.

now with two diffrerent styles of hdd do i need to set up TRIM for the SSD and are any of those SSD tweaker sofware programs worth having if it will only have w8 on it.

will windows auto defrag still defrag the larger hdd and avoid the ssd drive. or do i need to stop the defrag in services and run on a manual basis. w8 home came pre installed.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

The SSD is used as a cache so just ignore it. It is not for normal use. TRIM is automatically set for the SSD in Windows 7 onwards. Never defgrag an SSD it is not necessary as the method of storage and reading is totally different to the usual hard Drive. Defrag should have been automatically disabled for the SSD. Just leave it as it came.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The ssd is used for cashe only. It fixes to the mobo like a chip so ignore. Treat the laptop as having an ordinary Sata drive drive.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

alan and rdave thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK