We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB boot vista recovery

saintric

Likes # 0

My dell Laptop recently took a bump as i dropped it off my lap but seemed to still be working fine until i restarted..it wont get past the windows loading bar it just shows a glimpse of a blue screen and restarts.

It does this is every mode inc safe mode and the built in recovery console

I have downloaded a VISTA RECOVERY DISK iso and have a USB 1GB stick (CD isnt an option for me at this moment) Is there a way I can boot the recovery iso on the USB? I have tried a few things like extracting the files on the USB and selecting boot from USB when i start the laptop but it just does nothing

I only have access to this XP machine that has no CD drive any help is appreciated thanks

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you dropped it then it is most likely that something was jarred loose. Look for instructions via Google as to how to get the bottom off your Dell laptop and check the cables to the hard drive then try and reboot. Was the laptop running when you dropped it? You may have damaged the hard drive heads.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks