We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ran 2 antivirus programs simultaneously - how to restore?

mjwnic

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I'm a computer idiot. I have a Windows 8 laptop. Earlier today I uninstalled AVG free. I declined to restart, deciding I'd restart later. I then installed Avast Antivirus - and when I tried to run Avast, everything froze, and I had to turn the laptop off. When I logged back in to windows, I'm met just the mouse on a black screen. If I log into safe mode, there's the outline of my desktop, and I can run some programs, but most files are inaccessible & I can't get online, the windows taskbar won't open etc, and after a while a blue screen with text appears and the computer restarts.

I can't think of any cause other than the antivirus installation. My question is, can you think of any way to undo this without just wiping the computer? I've managed to burn some personal files to a DVD but would still prefer not to go back to square one. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Michael

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try wading through these options to see if any of them are any good to you....

eightforums.com/tutorials/system-recovery-options-boot-windows-8

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Take it you can't do a system restore in safe mode.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Normal mode try holding down the Ctrl- Alt and del buttons to see if that will open Taskmanager.

If it does click on start up and disable Avast and AVG if it is in there.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try holding the Shift key and tapping F8 once the bios has run. I find it impossible to catch it at the correct time so you will have to take some goes at it. If you can then it should bring the 'advanced startup options'. Use lotvic 's link to get to system restore.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

NEVER EVER INSTALL/USE TWO ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS ON THE SAME PC!!

Though I guess by now, that you have learned that lesson!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...