We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 key

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, My toshbia laptop died last year ,which was running w7 Can I use this licence key with my retail version of w7 on another pc ? Thank you

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I presume that the Toshiba laptop came with Win 7 pre-installed by the OEM so that licence died with the laptop.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You might want to read this Click Here

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the help :-)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have a read of the post by Comrade58 in this article - he/she rang Microsoft and was successful in getting an activation key for an OEM licence.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

difam, I read the link that you suggested and the comment below it. Personally I would not feel confident in trying to explain to Microsoft that I have ripped apart my laptop and that I am going to use some of the parts and sell others on ebay so please can I re-use my oem licence.

I have done that with retail licences that I have purchased, but would not try it with an oem license.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

chub_tor

The article I posted was not the only comment I have come across where the writer had been successful in obtaining a key, particularly when just transferring it to another pc and if it is for use on only one pc. Obviously it is at the discretion of whoever you speak to at Microsoft but it has been done.

The comments made by you in respect of ripping a laptop apart etc don't apply to the poster of this post.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The comments made by you in respect of ripping a laptop apart etc don't apply?

Why not? The first sentence is.....My Toshiba laptop died.....

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, I would like to reuse the key ,being an honest prison ,I wouldn't feel happy supplying Microsoft with inaccurate information . It's a shame you can't reuse an oem key,I bought the laptop/ key ,a quick honest phone call should be all thats required . Never mind Thank again for all the help

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

iqs

You have nothing to lose by making a "quick, honest, phone call".

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you call Microsoft and ask them if you can transfer an OEM license they will either refer you to their website or they will simply say no.

What those people on the site linked to by difarn have done is to do the installation and then try to see if they can activate it. Some say that it has activated automatically or if not then they are given a phone number to call to speak to an activation rep. It is then that they have to explain what changes they have made to their system (and as far as I can tell none of them have done it with a laptop) and after that they have had their license activated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers