We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why is my IE9 so very slow

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

My home network is 2 desktop PC's and one Laptop all running Windows 7. My pwn desktop has a wired connection to the hub - the other two are connected wirelessly. Both the wireless connections are work well with IE9, so the problem has to be with my PC. I have just reinstall Windows 7 - 64 bit from scratch, and yet IE9 (32-bit version)is taking some 5 minutes to download even the first screen of, say PCA. 64-bit version is just as bad.

I did think that the problem might have been caused by the fact that the PC was downloading all the Windows updates, but this has now stopped and IE9 is still very bad. I have managed to install Chrome and this is working fine, although I blowed if I can get Norton Safe to work in Chrome.

Any ideas, please?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried...

In IE go to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.

Turn OFF 'Automatically Detect Settings'

Sometimes Adobe shockwave causes problems with IE - the recommendation is to uninstall this and replace it with Adobe Flash.

As for Norton Safe and Chrome - there is a suggestion here from a Norton representative on the Norton Community website that may help.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Hi difarn and thanks for your early response. Firstly the good news is that I discovered that I had accidentally install NIS 2011 instead of NIS 2013. Updated and immediately Chrome is sporting a nice Norton toolbar. Unfortunately, no such luck with IE9 - still as slow as ever

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good news about Norton Safe.

Is Flash up to date?

Another suggestion is....

Start Internet Explorer 9. Click Internet Options on the Tools menu. On the Advanced tab, locate the Accelerated graphics section. Verify that the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box is selected.

Have you tried resetting IE?

IE Tools Internet Options Advanced Reset

Have you installed any ad-ons recently? You could try to disable them individually to see if there is a culprit.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Good morning difarn.

I am away from my home PC until about 6pm this evening, but will try all you suggest and get back to you. No add-ons running, but that reset sounds most promising.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe hit the nail on the head when you Mentioned Norton.

Maybe completely remove Norton and see if I/E works any better then reinstall it again.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

I have decided to ditch IE completely now as my Chrome is working perfectly. Perhaps sometime in the future, an update will solve the problem, but I've wasted more than enough time on this and now have a perfectly adequate work-around.

Thank you for your efforts.

Like this post  
difarn

Likes # 0

You are not on your own in doing this - quite a few people have just rolled it back to IE8.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I/E 10 working faster than Firefox for me using W/8.

Actually it is the fastest it has run for years.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Jock1e

I wish that I could agree with there but on this PCA site I still find that IE10 is slow and jerky and that it runs best with Chrome. Firefox is next best. On most other sites IE10 is pretty good.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

IE 10 required Windows 8 if I'm not mistaken, and that a no-go for me I'm afraid.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone