We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

run W8 and W7 ?

Petesilver

Likes # 0

I recently upgraded my W7 to W8 however due to some issues with some of my hardware not working I went back to W7 (via disc image restore)I did however make an image of the W8 installation, If I make another partition can I install this and if I do how will my pc boot up ? its a desktop with plenty of hdd storage and memory

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've never done this but it sounds intriguing. Are both images stored on another hard drive? If it goes belly up you could use your software to install the image again on the original drive. If the images are on the same hard drive you wish to try and dual boot, from the images, I wouldn't try it. Otherwise create a big partition on the drive now running win 7.

Boot from your software's rescue disk and install the image of Win 8 (from another drive or external drive) onto the new partition. Rebooting should give the option which OS to boot from, hopefully, otherwise I think 8 will take preference.

I'd have a go but I don't have much to lose as I've backups and images galore :) Thanks to the forumites here who remind from time to time the importance of backing up.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here for some tips only as you'll have two images on two partitions.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To clarify my last post, you will have a different image on two partitions.

Like this post
Petesilver

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your replies I think I leave things as they are I do have the image I can restore at any time if I want. But on the whole I think I prefer W7 anyway but thanks for all your comments.

-

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Petesilver you don't state where your images are saved nor the software you use to create images. If you use the Windows' own backup image I certainly would not rely on it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......