We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Grainy Quality on Video - graphics problem?

Vittrina

Likes # 0

Hi guys,

I recently brought a Samsung laptop with an i3 processor and HD R 4000 Graphics. The problem seems to be whenever I run anything that isn't youtube's hd quality, it seems to come up as looking rather grainy. I'm a complete newbie to windows 8; is there something I'm missing here? Some way I can upgrade the graphics or improve the quality? I have an NC110 netbook which has better quality video than my new laptop does (admittedly, it is 5" smaller than my new laptop)....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

What resolution is your laptop set to?

Some of the videos on YouTube can be really poor quality if not available in HD version's.

Your small NC110 will appear to have better quality as the screen is much smaller

Like this post
Vittrina

Likes # 0

Hi aquatarkus - the resolution on the laptop is set to 1366x768, which is the recommended resolution. I have tried lowering the resolution, but this seems to make no difference.

Totally understand! I just hope there's a way to fix/solve the issue of my laptop!

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Hi Vittrina

The other issue could be the quality of the actual LCD display.

What laptop have you purchased?

If your from the UK have you fried BBCi Player and compared video quality between HD and SD playback?

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What OS and what player do you use? Do you use full screen or the native screen streamed? If you're playing a DVD, then what DVD software are you using? I don't think it's the resolution or the monitor's fault if YouTube HD plays OK.

Like this post
Vittrina

Likes # 0

Hi guys, Apologies for the lag in replying.

I've included a link to the laptop I've brought: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5089057.htm so you guys can see the

Oddly enough, when trying to play from the BBC iPlayer, there is no hd option! Which is strange, as it shows well enough on my netbook.

rdave13, the os is Windows 8; the software I use is gom player, though I have tried both videoLAN player and the native player (whose name escapes me at the moment...) DVDS are played through VideoLAN player.

I generally use full screen, though I have tried the smaller native screens too, without too much difference.

Like this post
Vittrina

Likes # 0

Aquartarkus:

Regarding the HD BBC iPlayer: Managed to find some HD content, I had to do a bit of a search for it!!!

HD: Less pixelisation, much clearer and smoother images SD: More pixelisation, some lines between images blurry; sometimes pixels are visable

Like this post
Vittrina

Likes # 0

Guys - still experiencing grainyness on videos played through either native player or downloaded player (range from gom player, vlc player, and CyberPower 12. Any advice from those more knowledgable on such issues more than I am, would be much helpful!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer