We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no usb ports in in windows 8

rawh1950

Likes # 0

No usb ports in windows 8

ASUS P7H55-M LE mobo ; i 3 processor; 4gb ram ; After installing W8 via downloan all 6 intergrated(rear) usb ports do not work ; all front facing ports and card reader are working.These port work via usb headers on the mobo. After a lot of testing a complete re-install was carried out. NB usb pendrives and usb hub and a bluetooth dongle are conected to the rear ports for test purposes!! When the install was completed device manager and devices and printers were interogated to confirm these devices were installed ok - they were! A software application slim drivers free was used to located and install the most recent available chipset drivers. The pc was shut down and powered off!----Powered up re-boot back to start screen,device manager and devices and printers interogated;no devices had installed no ports working Restart carried out boot up the start screen;device manager and devices and printers interogated all devices present. So this is where i am now;from a cold start to start screen no rear usb ports,restart and the ports will work.....please can anyone help! or do i go back to w7

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

starting to suspect that its something to do with the Serif photo / video applications you have installed, have you checked that they are win8 compatible, are there updates for them, have you tried to install them in compatibility mode?

Windows update runs when you boot up the pc, not sure if the frequency of win update can be changed (will have a check later)

30 more updates????? are these from Windows update? very much doubt it.

just been checking the windows update site, the last windows 8 update I have was for .NET framework 4.5 for win8 and win server 2012 x64 systems (kb2750149) dated 16/01/2013 all the others are dated prior to that date apart from the definitions updates to Windows defender.

Are you sure these are Windows updates and not updates for the metro apps you have installed.

I'm presuming you downloaded the Windows 8 install files etc from M/S Would be worth checking the windows log files for any errors during the installations.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
rawh1950

Likes # 0

Hi,thanks for your reply,w8 is a download version-after I carried out a clean install I set update to allow me to decide when the updates were installed - so I had a clean system with only w8 installed,this was left clean for 24 hrs and tested often, I did not loose any ports; I then ran update powered down and then a cold start - no ports!--so serif is not the only cause,but serif did cause the ports to go as well...with regard to updates I also run office 2007,there are lots of updaes for this and I have included these in any figures....I may have found a fix>>>>>turn off fast start,so far no failures after two groups of software installs.Does anyone know why this may be the answer???????

Thanks
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more