We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which versions of office are.....

iqs

Likes # 0

Hi, Just wondering what versions of Microsoft office are compatible with w8 ? Also the ones I have looked at ,lack outlook for my emails. Can this be downloaded after ?

Thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Office 2013 out now and Microsoft has said any customer who has bought Office 2010 since October 2012 can upgrade to the new edition free of charge.

Thought that I would throw that one in iqs just to let you know that there was a new version out.

I don't use office so cant help you with what would be best for you but no doubt someone will.

Like this post
iqs

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help :-)

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Office 2013 "Home and Student" (approx £100) doesn't include Outlook; Office "Home and Business" (approx £180) does include Outlook.

Outlook is available as a stand-alone program, but the stand-alone copies of Office programs are extremely expensive. If you must have Outlook, then get a version of Office that already includes it. Otherwise, there are free alternative email programs such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure what this gives you but it is the latest version.

Outlook

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi Joc1e

At £91 I would not think it a worthwhile buy when Thunderbird is every bit as good and is free. It can also import all your emails, accounts and settings from Outlook.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

alanrwood

I agree but that was not the question asked.I have never used Thunderbird is it any good.

And were the rumours that it was going to be fazed out untrue.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

alanrwood,

"At £91 I would not think it a worthwhile buy when Thunderbird is every bit as good and is free."

Thunderbird is fine for POP3 or IMAP but, if there is a need to connect to a Microsoft Exchange Server, then Outlook is going to be required.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e I have used Thunderbird for several years now and it is absolutely solid and can cope with just about anything. It is a very professional program and seems to be updated online now about every month.

Hi mgmcc Yes but the OP did not say that was a particular requirement. If so then he is stuck with Outlook.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

One other thing with T/B is that you can set up your profile to be stored anywhere on any drive which makes backing it up very simple instead of hunting high and low for pst files etc.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Office 2010 is working fine on my Win 8 64 bit machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK