We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IncludeWindows Live Mail (WLM) in startup

nrgarnett

Likes # 0

Is it possible in Win8 to add WLM to my Startup files ?

Nigel

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

Windows live mail doesn't work on W8 at least it hasn't for me.

Like this post
nrgarnett

Likes # 0

I must confess it's working but its not perfect, I was using Incredimail but I've always mistrusted it, when I uninstalled it recently my response speed got a lot better but I guess it could have been having both on board at that time. What do you use for your mail ??

Nige

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

You need to create a shortcut for Windows Live Mail in the path:

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Start-up

The "AppData" folder is a hidden folder, so you may need to configure Windows Explorer to "Show hidden files and folders".

I haven't had any problems running Windows Live Mail in Windows 8, although it is the 2011 version, not 2012.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

The way I did it was to go to the start page, right click the WLM tile and select 'pin to taskbar'. On the desktop, right click the WLM icon on the taskbar and right click windows live mail in the list and select properties. In the window that opens click on the tab that shows 'open file location'. Right click wlmail.exe and select 'create shortcut'. You'll get a popup saying it can't create it here but do you want it on the desktop? Select yes.

Bottom left with cursor and right click the square start icon and select 'run'. Type or copy and paste shell:startup in the Open:field and click OK. This opens the startup folder. Drag the WLM desktop shortcut into it.

Like this post
nrgarnett

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your assistance folks, it's appreciated.

Nige

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I know that not everyone agrees with me but I installed Start8 from Stardock which in Desktop view gives me back the layout I am familiar with from Win7 and so it was easy for me to locate the Windows Live Mail icon from All Programmes, right click it and click to Add to Start. Job done and I now have Live Mail as one of my Apps. I couldn't get on with the Windows 8 Mail App and so unticked that from my front page.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

chub_tor doing that on W/7 only puts it in the start menu not in the start at boot up.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Jock1e do you have Start8? Because I can assure that it puts it among the front page apps on my machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014