We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Mail won't open PDF since installing Adobe Reader X

DickGreen

Likes # 0

I am using Windows Mail from within Windows Vista (service pack 2). I have recntly installed Adobe Reader X and now PDF files will not open from within Windows Mail although I can save and then open them. I get the error message "this file does not have a program associated with it for perfoming this action. Create an asociation in the Set Associations control panel" How do I do this? (PDFs are correctly set within Internet Explorer.)

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Start - Control Panel - Programs - Default Programs - choose Associate a file type or protocol with a program - wait for the list to populate - browse the list to find the extension you want to create an association for - click on file extension and choose "change" - click on arrow to expand the selection - if you do not see your program choose "browse" to find it - click on that program and then on ok.

Like this post
DickGreen

Likes # 0

Thanks, difam. Have already tried that. It says PDF associated with Adobe Reader. If i save the file and then open it it works OK. it is just within Windows Mail that i get this silly response. DickGreen

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are various suggestions on this Microsoft Community forum.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Best advice I can give is to uninstall Adobe Reader completely and install Foxit Reader instead. It is much faster and less resource hungry that the later bloated versions of Adobe Reader.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Alanrwood

I agree with that - I too have Foxit Reader installed instead of Adobe.

Like this post
Moonsorrow

Likes # 0

try simple Control Panel and Check for Updates, if none, open Adobe Reader and somewhere in the 'Support','Help' or 'Downloads' try to get the latest updates of the application. U must be connected on the internet

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK