We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 problem

Thereferee21
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am being told my Windows 7 is not genuine. How do put this right?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Is it genuine?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

How long have you had it? Did you buy it and install it yourself? OEM or Retail W7? is it Activated? Does it fail Validation?

a lot more detail is needed.

Like this post
Thereferee21

Likes # 0

It was purchased in Jan 2012 preinstalled on an Acer Aspire laptop from John Lewis online. It has been working well until a week ago when it says in the bottom right hand corner of my screen it is not a genuine Windows 7. programme, and it keeps asking for my validation key

Cheers

Ian

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are you sure it says validation key? I thought that was only needed when you use the Download Centre, and then you have to validate and they give you a code to enter before you can download anything. Like this

I think best thing to do is to Validate your copy of W7 here's a link to a page with link to do online validation

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

There's loads on the web about this problem i.e.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows7-windowsinstall/windows-suddenly-reports-my-copy-of-windows-is-not/a27d3511-7cd3-4b02-92de-4f4301662521

I reckon that you first port of call be to contact Microsoft phone validation service to see if that sorts out the problem - failing that, a call to John Lewis should get you back to normal.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If the Laptop is only a year old did it come preinstalled with Microsoft office on it or did you actually buy it.

If office was preinstalled it is usually only a trial version that you can use for 6 months then you need to buy it or use the the cut down free version.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Hey Jock1e

Its not Office that's the problem, its Windows, and if Windows is pre-installed it should be the real thing.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hey xania

maybe Jock1e meant to put that post on other thread, see Thread in Helproom about 'lost my activation key' http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4205217/microsoft-office-2010-professional/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...