We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ide to sata

prima12
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I am changing my ide dvd writer to a sata dvd writer, on my mother board an Asus M2N-MX there are 4 sata connections but it appears that connectors 3&4 are not working. My HHD is in sata 1 and my bluray writer is in sata 2. Is it possible that sata 3&4 are not connected in the MB, I have swapped my bluray writer into sata 3&4 but it is not seen

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Sometimes you need to activate the extra Sata ports in the BIOS.

Like this post
prima12

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. I went into the bios and it said that sata 3&4 could not be found so I think that answers my question. P.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Yes it does answer why the drive is not found but presents a further question of why they are not found. Have another look in the BIOS and make sure that the SATA controllers are all enabled. There are sometimes different settings which disable the controllers. Just enable the lot and reboot. Look at the screen as it boots and read the text as it scrolls. You can press "pause" if it scrolls too fast. You should see references to all 4 Sata ports being found even if nothing is connected to them.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If you dont have a motherboard manual maybe this is your version

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/AsusM2N-MXManual.pdf

Go to pages 1-24 and 2-17 for more info on the SATA connections.

You are not using RAID I suppose?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

For some reason the whole location has not copied as a link so cut and paste it complete into your browser.

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/AsusM2N-MXManual.pdf

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Really having a problem with this link. Go to Google and search for "asus m2n-mx manual".

On my machine it is the third link down and a double click takes me there.

If successful I would download it to your machine if you haven't got a hard copy.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Alan's Link Click here

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Thanks Lazarus, don't know where my problem was.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...