We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All user accounts deleted-except built in administrator

formulablue

Likes # 0

Hi-my son loves to mess about with computers, which I encourage-however he has deleted all user accounts except one account (he said he was trying to free up memory), which is named Guest and has (so it says) administrator rights. PC works fine but I now want to add a new wireless printer but it says I need administrator rights! I am the only user and the profile has administrator status.

Anyway-tried to add new user and get message 'The specified account names is not valid, because account names cannot contain the following characters ^[]":;|<>+=,?*'

After doing some google searches have tried many times to add another user via the CMD prompt, but I always get 'System 5 error, access denied' even when I run as administrator, with UAC disabled.

Am I stuffed or is there a solution-which I can't seem to find on the net.

Help!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Can you do it in safe mode.

Open the admin account at start up and not your account.Then try and open a new account with Admin rights.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried a system restore?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...