We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Media Centre - Activation

Podracer

Likes # 0

I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to W8, and also installed Windows Media Centre (free till 31 January), using the product key that Microsoft e-mailed me. WMC seems to work fine at the moment.

However, those awfully nice chaps at Microsoft have e-mailed me to say:

**This is a reminder that you must activate your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key by January 31, 2013: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro: 1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search). 2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings. 3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8. 4. Then tap or click I already have a product key. 5. Enter the product key, and then click Next. 6. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features. Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.**

I have tried to follow the instructions, but I don't seem to be getting past stage 2. Does this mean that my copy of WMC is already fully activated, and the e-mail is Microsoft just spamming me, or do I need to do something.

In short, how do I know if my copy of WMC is activated?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Brilliant.How did I not think of that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e, a bit unlike you to be so, ummm, how can I put it.. slightly sarcastic? Be it ever so slightly. I can see what you thought, though.

Got the same email for my ex Vista older laptop. Uninstalled WMC, rebooted, tried the above email re-activation but no WMC listed. Re-enabled WMC and all is as it should be.

Unfortunately I never use it as it is crap in my humble opinion.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

I don't use it myself either but thought that I would download it in case any of the grand kids wanted to use it.

Funny feeling that I will be deleting it shortly.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e no need to delete as you've paid for it. You never know, one day, you might find an use for it.

One day.

:)

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Jock1e and rdave13

Windows media centre on its own isn't much cop but if you add things like MediaBrowser http://www.mediabrowser.tv/ Radiotime http://tunein.com/ Kylo browser http://kylo.tv/

to media centre it suddenly opens up a whole world of possibilities if you are using your PC as a HTPC (home theatre PC)and have it connected to your large screen TV.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

aquatarkus , thanks for that. Don't use my PC as a home theatre PC. Have played around with WMC for quite a while - I still don't like it - but thanks all the same. Seems to be an upgrade to Zune (which is now defunct I believe) but Xbox Live is now the king.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers