We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Media Centre - Activation

Podracer

Likes # 0

I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to W8, and also installed Windows Media Centre (free till 31 January), using the product key that Microsoft e-mailed me. WMC seems to work fine at the moment.

However, those awfully nice chaps at Microsoft have e-mailed me to say:

**This is a reminder that you must activate your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key by January 31, 2013: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro: 1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search). 2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings. 3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8. 4. Then tap or click I already have a product key. 5. Enter the product key, and then click Next. 6. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features. Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.**

I have tried to follow the instructions, but I don't seem to be getting past stage 2. Does this mean that my copy of WMC is already fully activated, and the e-mail is Microsoft just spamming me, or do I need to do something.

In short, how do I know if my copy of WMC is activated?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Did you activate when you installed the media centre pack, if so you are still activated. M/S are not spamming you they are simply making sure that you activate the media centre pack before 31st Jan, as the key code you have wont activate after that date. (it will reactivate after that date if you have activated already, in case of reinstallation etc.)

The reason for this is that media centre was given to you for free, after Jan 31st it will cost £10 or there abouts.

To check if you are activated simply use the charms bar (win key + c)click settings then PC Info it will show you if you are activated.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I got 4 messages the same this morning on 4 different e-mail accounts.

Not at all sure as to what the problem is.Maybe they should have only replied to the e-mail account that I provided.

Maybe it is time to remove it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

aquatarkus

According to that it is activated so wonder why we are still getting the letters.

Thanks for showing us how to check.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

They simply want to make sure that you have activated the free key for media centre before 31st January.

Think there are quite a few people who got the free key for media centre but have not used it. I have a spare key that I haven't yet used, going to go on my daughters htpc this weekend. Can then install MediaBrowser.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wondering if it is the same key for everyone.

Like this post
Podracer

Likes # 0

Thank you for your comments - glad I am not the only one being bombarded by Microsoft; I am grateful for the information as to how to check activation, and I have discovered that I am. Happy now!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Podracer

I Just remembered that I had got a keycode for it and never installed it.

Of course when I went to install it at a later date I could not find the keycode and applied for another one.

I still don't think that it gives them the right to open my e-mail box and post reminders to all my e-mail accounts.

Just wonder what other sort of information it retrieved from my computer.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Key code is different for every one.

They haven't opened your email box! they have simply sent you a reminder email to the email address that YOU registered with Microsoft to obtain the FREE media Centre key.

If you registered for 2 keys (only ONE key per email address)you used 2 different email addresses that's why you got 2 reminders.

All Microsoft sent you in your original email is an activation key to enable media centre. (add features to Windows) Microsoft didn't retrieve ANY information form your pc apart from a hash key about the hardware that the upgrade was being installed on. Exactly the same as when you 1st activated windows be it Vista, 7 or 8.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

aquatarkus

I got 4 reminders from 4 different e-mail addresses.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Then you obviously registered with 4 different email addresses, you therefore got 4 keys.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added